Bikini Atoll update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Is there any news regarding diving at Bikini Atoll

I was skimming thread titles and thought it said "Bikini, A troll update".

I believe that unless you an talk Paul Allen into taking the Octopus there, you're out of luck.

A guy on Rebreatherworld is putting together a liveaboard for 2010 or 2011.

If you've got 12 grand.

I believe this is still in effect:

August 23, 2008

Dear All,

The Kili/Bikini/Ejit Local Government Council met for several days during August, 2008, to consider its fiscal year 2009 budget. It was decided at this meeting that Bikini Atoll would remain closed for normal tourism operations during 2009. The Council made this decision due to the ongoing reliability issues with our local airline, Air Marshall Islands, the rise in the world price of fuel, and the decline in the stock market and the impact that this has had on our trust funds (which were used to subsidise our dive program): Together, all of these issues have caused our operating expenses to rise beyond our means.

Currently, the Council is engaged in negotiations with several entities which are interested in taking over the Bikini tourism operation. It is unknown how long these negotiations will last, or if they will prove fruitful, but, if there is an update regarding the tourism operation, it will be posted on this website.

Bikini is allowing certain types of vessels to visit Bikini Atoll and dive on the wrecks provided definitive prior arrangements are made with Bikini Atoll Divers.

These vessels or yachts must be completely self-contained, and must include:

• adequate international communications equipment
  • housing, dining facilities, and supplies (all food, water, medical equipment, etc)
  • all equipment needed to fill tanks and take care of divers, including any nitrox, oxygen or specialized medical equipment
  • preferably have a helicopter for medical evacuation purposes
During such visits our local government will send along a diver and up to two Local Government Council representatives--at the vessel owner's expense--to make sure that no artifacts are removed from the ships.
If you want more information regarding this kind of expedition, please contact:bikinijack@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Jack Niedenthal
Tourism Operations Manager for
the Bikini Atoll Local Government

this goes to show you that you should never postpone anything in life. don't wait..do it

Bummer. I was telling my wife, last night, that this is one of the places I want to dive before I croak

Back
Top Bottom