Anilao: Planet Dive or Arthur's place in mid May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmpaq20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a single diver and also an amateur photographer looking to go diving in the Philippines in mid May. This will be my first trip to the Philippines. (newbie alert). By reading this board and emailing the various resorts I have narrowed my choices down to these two.

I am going there to dive (~3 dives per day: (2 morning, 1 afternoon) and perhaps an additional night dive) eat, sleep and relax. (No PG for this boy) :no:

My question is this, although they appear to be different (Planet Dive more technical, Arthur's place more laid back (?)) they both seem to fit my needs. I am looking for something to put me over the fence.

What about food and accommodations?
Who has the better DM's?

Anything you could add would be greatly appreciated....

On a side note, what am I looking like for water temps? Thinking I should take my 3 mil and 5/4 full suits.

Many thanks all,

Dave
Cypress, Texas

Last edited:
Temps should be in the 24-30ºC depending on the time of year. If you get chilly easily, and since you are a Photographer (staying still for long moments), I would suggest a 5mm wetsuit. I did fine in 3/2mm in 24ºC water (cold season), but I'm fairly cold resistant.

Others will surely chime in with advice on the resorts...

if it,s your first time in the PIs (or Asia), you're going to love it!:coffee:

a 3/2mm is just right for that time of the year. water should be a warm 28-30C.
as for the choice of resort, what specifically are you looking for in a resort? what's your budget?

be warned that anilao resorts tend to be distant from each other so its not really easy to explore dining options like in puerto galera or moalboal. also, most resorts will charge for for the rent of an entire boat and pay for the DM yourself if there are no other divers. anilao tends to be empty during weekdays as it is basically the weekend haunt of manila-based divers. so it would be best to ask the resort first if they have other divers during the days that you will be there and if you can share a boat and DM with them.

as for diving at 2am...well, good luck with finding a resort and DM that will take you up on that. are you serious??:idk:

what's an advanced amateur photographer?:confused:

a
as for diving at 2am...well, good luck with finding a resort and DM that will take you up on that. are you serious??:idk:

I thibnk he meant 2x am dives...:rofl3::rofl3:

Okay okay, I fixed it....I gave you a newbie alert :dork2
I thought that they did naked diving at 2 AM in the Philippines.....now I am having second thoughts...:mooner:

Good point about asking who I would be diving with as I do not want to get saddled with extra charges

If during the week it turns out to be too expensive for you in Anilao, PG is just a 20 minute Jeepney and 50 minute Bangka ride away! During the week you'll get better deals on diving (they just charge per dive) and the marine life and macro is still very good. And you can avoid the party zones if you wish... Then head back to Anilao for the week-end! You'll also get to see 2 different dive spots while there!

Just food for thought!:coffee:

Okay okay, I fixed it....I gave you a newbie alert :dork2
I thought that they did naked diving at 2 AM in the Philippines.....now I am having second thoughts...:mooner:

Good point about asking who I would be diving with as I do not want to get saddled with extra charges

I have dove Anilao 2x in the past year.

I was just there 30 days ago.

I highly recommend club ocellaris for photographers. The guides are incredible.

Bring at least a 3mm as there is no limit on bottom time.

Anilao is about 90 minutes to 120 minutes from Manila now.

The comment about the resorts not being close is VERY true. You will eat all meals at your hotel.

Yup, Anilao is really a place where you're pretty much stuck in your resort unless you drive out just to eat elsewhere. Having said that, Planet Dive's food is okay for its price. I haven't stayed at Arthur's yet, but I hear it's also okay.

The others are also correct in saying that you're better off in PG on weekdays because they do charge per dive even if it's just you and no other divers are around. You could plan your visit properly to find a group in Anilao for the weekend after a week's worth diving in PG. In PG, I would recommend South Sea Divers. They're right spot on the famous Sabang beach, but if you don't mind all the red light goings on, you'll be fine. Sky and his staff are good spotters, and there are tons of nice macro and current dives you can do in PG for your photography options.

Lemme know when exactly you'll be in town. We dive often, so maybe you could join our group when we head out! We usually dive from Mayumi Resort.

My only gripe with Planet Dive is that their DMs are all Manila based. Somehow I find a huge advantage when your spotter is a local from Anilao who really knows the area above and underwater. However, the house reef of Planet Dive is a marine sanctuary which should be nice for your photography.

Thanks wershwie, I keep hearing to go to PG during the week. I haven't experienced the red light district nor have I gone to PG but I usually gravitate to places that are quiet using these trips as bit of a retreat from the world. But from an accommodations and food standpoint I am hearing (so far) that Anilao is "okay" which concerns me a bit. How is the viz at PG?

If the weather keeps clear (meaning no rain or storm), viz should normally be about 50-80ft depending on the site. If you do get to PG, try and find a trip to Verde Island. It's 30mins off bay, but it's really worth the trip if you do 2-3 dives there.

Last week in Anilao viz was about 10-30ft at some parts and then 50-60ft in others. It's usually better, though. Last week we had the typhoon threat that never came, but we did have the earthquake.

Not sure about your budget, but if you had singled out Planet Dive and Arthur's then I'm thinking you're looking for the more simple, rustic types of accommodations? I would say that in Anilao you get what you pay for. Some resorts are definitely more expensive, but would definitely have better food and more comfortable rooms. PG would have more options, especially with food, but Anilao is definitely worth staying in, too.

Back
Top Bottom