Silicone spray for wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok so I was looking at my wetsuit hanging over the washtub and felt bad for it. I picked up some wetsuit shampoo and on the label is says that you could add some to the silicone spray product that the same company sells and apply it that way. Is this for real? Have I been neglecting my gear by NOT spraying silicone on everything? Have you had any experience with this?

NOT everything! It will make those boots awful slippery! Otherwise I do recommend the application. It keeps your gear in great shape! And, there are other considerations with your regs and seals once you get into high oxygen percentages.

But on my wetsuit? Do you apply it to mask skirts and stuff as well?

Save your money, rinse, dry (if there is time) dive, repeat....

Pete

Manufacturers of silicone products would of course like it if you used it lavishly and often. But most dive suit manufacturers would rather you didn't use silicone on their suits as it makes them much more difficult to repair, since any silicone residue will prevent glue from sticking. If you spray it on silicone dive gear, like masks and fins, it can discolor them.

That's if you are using one of the pump bottle silicone sprays sold specifically for dive use, which typically contain a tiny bit of silicone and a lot of water. If you are using a hardware store silicone, al bets are off, because most of them, even the ones labeled "100% silicone" are a witches' brew of propellants, vehicles and solvents that can attack and damage many materials.

So it's usually a good idea to avoid silicone sprays. If you must spray something on your dive gear, try a non-silicone polymer protectant like Formula 303 or UV Tech.

It makes all sorts of problems when you need
But on my wetsuit? Do you apply it to mask skirts and stuff as well?

I have had a lot of the same gear for over 10 years and I have never used any silicone on it. I have purchased some for my Dive computer though. I was told to use a small amount on the O ring when I change the battery. I have a wet suit that I have had since '95, and all I do is wash it after use and keep it on a hanger. I also keep my gear stored in a closet in the house when not in use out of the sunlight. The same goes for my mask and regs. Although I am pushing my luck and need to have them rebuilt, which I am doing this month. Washing after use and keeping it all properly stored has worked for me so far.

So it's usually a good idea to avoid silicone sprays. If you must spray something on your dive gear, try a non-silicone polymer protectant like Formula 303 or UV Tech.

I've used Formula 303 on a variety of stuff over the years. The stuff works well!

I've used Formula 303 on a variety of stuff over the years. The stuff works well!

I second that. 303 truly is a great product that simply works. I buy it by the gallon from RV supply stores. I've tried experiments on different stuff with it (not using it vs. using it) It keeps truly lives up to the hype.

Back
Top Bottom