Leaving for Fiji - Baggage limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we are leaving in april and our concern is you are only allowed 7kg / 15lbs for carry on whick in our case is 1reg set , 3mm full wet suit and mini laptop = 12lbs that leaves 3 lbs for bathing suit and clothes , im wondering whether my camercase which weights 22lbs will qualify as a personal item

When I flew out of Nadi Air Pacific they had a little set of domestic scales by the hand luggage secuirty scanning and weighed the carry on bag. I was a bit over but when I explained it was because I wanted to carry on my camera gear they let me through without extra costs, once they had inspected it..

I doubt you would get away with claiming the camera case as personal. It is the tropics -you don't need many clothes!

Alison

Im on to plan two i just purchaced a new camera bag . may last one was a a hard sided pelican 1500. looks like a oversized breif case. now im going with a softsided loaded its about 7lbs. do they weigh both your carry on and your personal item. can you pay extra to carry on more.

I can't remember if I was carrying anything as a 'personal item', if I was I suspect it was small. It was only the carry on that was weighed but I am can't be sure that would have been the case if they were both substantial. Sorry I can't be more help.

Alison

we are leaving in april and our concern is you are only allowed 7kg / 15lbs for carry on whick in our case is 1reg set , 3mm full wet suit and mini laptop = 12lbs that leaves 3 lbs for bathing suit and clothes , im wondering whether my camercase which weights 22lbs will qualify as a personal item

I didn't have any problems coming in to Fiji with my camera case. Even on the short flights to Suva and Taveuni they didn't charge for going a bit over the limits. They do weigh (including you) but that just seems to be so they actually know how much weight is on the plane. The only problem was leaving Nadi on a South Pacific flight to LA. The limit for personal carry on is 15 pounds and I was not allowed to take my Storm Case on. My brother was able to take his because he emptied everyting into an extra bag so that his Storm Case did not go over the 15 pounds. They checked my Storm Case for free but were going to charge him about $60. Nothing seems consistent except the big guy at the start of security who was not going to allow anything over 15 pounds.

I am bringing many items with me to donate to a few of the villages in the Taveuni area. I mentioned this to someone and they said I was going to pay a lot for overages. I disagreed that I had two check ons up to about 50lbs each and my one carry on. I read on the website if you are booked international then they allow those same weights for the small plane from Nadi to Taveuni.

I also usually have a check on that is a suitcase (you know the smaller travel ones with wheels.) Does that need to be 15 lbs - cause mine is usually around 35lbs? Or is it just the additional personal item that needs to be 15lbs. After reading a few of these posts, I am beginning to second guess myself. I travel international a lot and I always have my dive gear bag, a donation suitcase, and then my carry on which is actually my clothes and stuff. Then I check my carry on for the trip home. Are you guys saying I can not carry on my travel suitcase without paying extra? Or am I misunderstanding this?

I just want to make sure because I am accumulating items for the trip - and I don't want to get stuck with a $200(?) fee for a third suitcase when I am in LA - especially a suitcase that is full of donation items. You know what I mean.

ive been watching the posts as we are booked in the near future , it a appers to be a hit and miss. i can tell you that carry on bags with the wheels weight between 6-9 lbs . as metioned in other post they tend to single out those people i would image that they also know the same info it doesnt leave a alot lbs to pack into it . i guess you scream im overweight when you use these bags . like other people i use a storm case for camera . iwont be coming. we are taking an extra carry with us just in case be have to check something in lax , the hard disicion will be what . more info is on the post " tough to leave an old friend behind" by myself

This is the email that we received from Air Pacific, an affiliate of Qantas, when we wrote directly to them to ask about what we were allowed on our trip to Taveuni, Fiji and then on to Australia and the Great Barrier Reef:

Bula Donald!

The same baggage allowance will apply using Air Pacific from Los Angeles to Taveuni and then on to Sydney.

2 pieces to check in -each piece not to exceed 50lbs per piece. 106 inches total between the 2 pieces (height+width+length) where the bigger
piece cannot be larger than 62inches.

1 carryon not to exceed 39inches and 15lbs
1person item (purse, camera case, etc)

Rgds,
Air Pacific

I mentioned this in another thread. When we checked in at LAX, they were weighing bags. I saw a few people having to re-pack their carry-on because it exceeded 15 pounds. I never saw anyone measuring bags.

When we flew from Taveuni to Suva, they weighed us and our bags. I ended up having to pay an overweight bag fee. Because of weight restrictions and the capacity of the plane, we ended up flying without our baggage. All we could take with us was our carry-on bag. The rest of our stuff did not show up at Beqa until the following morning, so fortunately, we did not miss out on any diving.

When we were returning to LAX, a security guard at Nadi (at the entrance to the waiting area) checked one of our carry-on bags because he thought it weighed too much.

I agree with some of the other posters that it does seem to be arbitrary at times.

I flew Air Pacific to Fiji and took all of my gear. They didn't give me any hassles nor did I see them measuring anyone's bag. They let surfers check their boards for free or nominal cost (can't remember) so our whole plane was packed with surfers once we left LA. They were telling me the other airlines were more rigid about luggage and weight requirements. Have a blast-- Fiji is amazing!

My wife and I checked four bags (three for me and one for her), and were only charged a small fee on the flight from Taveuni to Nadi. I also carried on a case with a computer, camera and several lenses (more than 15 pounds), while my wife carried on a small roll bag with her gear (way more than 15 pounds). Considering my pelican box with camera gear weighed about 65 pounds (added to my 220 pounds), I was relieved that I was only charged about $30 on one of four flights. I suspect I only had to pay on the one flight because it was the last flight out before Cyclone Tomas hit the island and cargo space was at a premium (it looked like an important shipment of kava).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom