Suunto Vyper/ Wrist Or Console??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbm

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to you people for imput.

Let me preface this by saying i'm PADI OW with rather limited experience, but have finally freed up the time to further my diving education. I intend to actively dive in both cold and warm waters.

I am in the process of researching and selecting my first set of dive gear and would appreciate imput. I am willing to spend some dollars now as opposed to feeling I have to upgrade later.

I have pretty much decided on a SUUNTO VYPER, but i am not sure which way to go 1) wrist mount or 2) console mount with a SK7 compass and SPG. Which do you people prefer and why??

Or should I look at air integration with a COBRA? Pro's and con's?

Looking forward to your imput. Thanks in advance!!

I have also tentatively selected the following:

Sea-Quest Pro Unlimited or Sea-Quest Pro QD+ BC

Apeks ATX200 and TX40 alternate( seems to be well respected here!!)

Appreciate any comments on these selections as well.

Again, Thanks in advance, I appreciate your views.

Best regards; jbm

If you have the money, I'd go Cobra to get more intelligent input, e.g., minutes of air left, standardized consumption rate, etc. These air integrated features aren't as important as the core computer functions but they are valuable...

My wife, My son and I each use the Cobra. Does that give you a hint as to how I feel about it?? It's a great computer. It gives us all the information we need and more.We each have the SK-7 too. My wife has hers on the computer. She has lost her lens protector twice. I think what happens is with boat crew handling gear the compass gets bent back a little and the cover pops out. I don't have that problem. Mine is on a retractor clipped to my BC. Besides the computer looks cooler without the compass on it. :D:
If $ isn't an issue get the PC interface too. all our dives are logged on paper and on our PC in the Suunto dive manager. You can check it out on Suunto's website. http://www.suunto.com/worlds/diving/index.html
You can download the dive manager and do simulated dives.

Good luck, and it great that your doing your research first.

BTW I think you've chosen exellent Regs and a good BC too.
Try the BC before you buy. I tried several before making a choice.

Originally posted by jbm

I have pretty much decided on a SUUNTO VYPER, but i am not sure which way to go 1) wrist mount or 2) console mount with a SK7 compass and SPG. Which do you people prefer and why??

I liked the Vyper but like the Stinger better....
Wear it as a watch when dry...
Suunto interface is super!!!
I like a wrist mount.... right wrist....
I can watch it as my left hand is busy with other stuff on ascent...
I always use it in gauge mode....

I don't like computers computing....
They make you dumb over a very short period of time....
I like to pay attention to depth and time....
And do my own computing.....

SK7 is good.... I have mine on the left wrist....
I don't need it on ascent when my left hand is busy....

I like my SPG too....
But I always try to guess before I look at it....
If I am not within 50 psi....
I haven't been paying attention to my right wrist....

Since I dive with the same partner most of the time....
My right wrist also tells me what his SPG is reading...
Usually within 50 psi...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jbm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucky you, who can afford the vyper... I only have the Octopus II, but over to your question; I started to use mine in my console, but very soon I changed to wrist mount because I think it's easier to have a quick look on the depth and time. If you are going for the SK7 compass (good choice) I would prefer the wrist mount, because it's easier to have a stright line when you use your wrist, you don't have any hoose in the bottom in your compass...

That's what I think, but it is like to ask people if they prefer apples or peaches. If you go for the suunto vyper and SK7 compass you can always change, it's the same instrument, just take it out of one "shell" and put it in another.

/Per

I'll add another vote for wrist-mounted gauges. I wear my Vyper on my right wrist and the SK-7 on my left wrist. When making free ascents/descents, it is nice to have your left hand free to use your inflator/deflator if necessary. If you have your computer in a console, it is hard to look at the computer if you are already fiddling with your inflator hose. This became VERY obvious to me during a free ascent from 70 feet in 15 ft vis water.

The SK-7 is a great compass -- one suggestion is to get rid of the cheesy wrist band it comes with -- very hard to manipulate, especially with heavy gloves on. I replaced it with some bungee cords -- easy off/on, but stays snug while underwater. The compass itself is great.

Apeks -- you won't go wrong with these regs.

Seaquest BCs -- well made. I own a QD and have been happy with it. If you see tech diving in your future, this is not the BC for you (look at backplates/wings).

Good luck!

If you have decided on the Vyper, then the wrist location is probably the way to go. Mine is a wrist mount and I wouldn't consider moving it....its just too convenient.

One note.....add a lanyard to it, attached to your wrist and you won't have to worry about surfacing without it.

Cheers

Bio guy --

I've been thinking about a back-up attachment for my (wrist mount) Vyper. How have you attached your lanyard to the computer?

Thanks, Zept

Zept

I found a lanyard (like those for an underwater light), but with a thin, very flexible, elastic cable instead of the thick string normally found on them. I threaded the loop through the first buckle hole next to the computer itself, and then threaded the lanyard through that exposed loop. I wish I had a digital camera here, but it is essentially the same way to attach a lanyard to a light, but with the strap in the middle so that the line is flat. By using the first or early buckle hole, it shouldn't interfere at all with buckling. That's it. I just put the lanyard above the vyper on my wrist and forget about it.

The key though is the thin cabled lanyard. That way it will easily fit through the hole and doesn't get in the way when diving. If your LDS doesn't carry a similar type, I can give you the contact info of one that does.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom