Diving Incirlik AB, Turkey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aku321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Getting deployed to Incirlik AB this summer. I saw on the web ORD has scuba rental on base but no other details. Just wondering if anyone has any other info. Like if they arrange dive trips or use a shop off base or something. Any info, links or help would be greatly appreciated.

I am living in Turkey for three years now and I travelled the complete Turkish coast between Iskenderun und Izmir meanwhile.
Unfortunately I have not really good news for you.
Incirlik is close to the Turkish city of Adana. Although Adana is quite close to the Mediterranean coast, this is not a diving area. I don’t know if the US Forces offer some diving opportunities. Otherwise chances are not very good. In that area the dive sites are quite poor and also you would not find any international standard dive centre.
The region where you will find diving in Turkey starts at Alanya and goes along the coast northward to Canakkale.
But the region between Alanya and Antalya I can not recommend as well. In that area the dive sites are quite poor as well. Good dive sites you will find north of Antalya. In Antalya city there is an interesting dive site as well. Directly at the old harbour there is the wreck of a French freighter from the time of WW II. There is also a local dive centre direct in the old harbour. They speak English as well and with their RIP it’s a 5 minute trip to the wreck.
Probably the best dive sites in Turkey you will find in the small village of Kas, a bit north of Antalya. The second best dive sites you will find in the region of Bodrum in the Aegean Sea. Also very interesting is the area of Ayvalik and last but not least Canakkale, both in the North Aegean Sea.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks for the info explorer. I don't think I will be able to get up that way but I will look into it. Since I posted the original message I found out that a there is a local diver that works with the base that teaches PADI courses and has boat dive trips on the weekends. He has a facebook page "Incirlik Diving". I don't know if they travel up the coast to dive or just there near the base. I will find out in a few months though!

Hi aku321,
after I read your post, I checked a bit Turkish websites and I found a confirmation of your information. It sounds like a one-man-show, but anyway. I wish you some nice dives with him.

I was stationed at Incirlik in another lifetime "about 27 years ago" I had a great experience while there. I was only on base for a week and already went diving. Most of the guys in the my unit thought I was crazy for leaving base. I did a lot of diving in the year I was there. In fact we had a volunteer Search and Recovery team that helped find drowning victims. This allowed to get a special pass to dive off-limits sites (archaeology)
Diving in the area is like the Gulf of Mexico off of the panhandle. Warm 3mm in the summer around 50's in the winter. Enjoy your time the further you get from the base the friendly people are. I moved up to Divemaster when stationed there and ran the club for awhile.

Attachments

• 3-22-2010 12;34;58 PM.jpg
    3-22-2010 12;34;58 PM.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 558
I've actually been to Incirlik many times but never was a diver then. A few years back a bunch of us deployed to Guam and for $100 you could get certified. So now we all look forward to the deployments that are close to any kind of water we can dive in. We like to schedule our work around when we can dive.....haha when the mission allows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom