Just back from Curacao, and I was not robbed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone on here seems to say that people always post when they are robbed, but not when things go o.k. For the record, I just returned from a two week vacation in Curacao, and I was not robbed and had nothing stolen. In fact, I felt pretty safe there. I was staying in the uncrowded western end of the island that has more isolated beaches. Bottom line, I think the security issues regarding the ABC islands may be exaggerated by some people on this board. Would I go back? You bet!

Hopefully I will sometime find the motivation to write a trip report. In the mean time, I've starting putting some of my photos here (underwater): Curacao 2010 snorkeling - a set on Flickr
and here (above water):
Curacao 2010 above water - a set on Flickr

I think the focus has been on Bonaire and not Curacao. Maybe it's a fiendish plot by the Curacaoans to drive tourism to their island instead of Bonaire?

So far I haven't seen anybody on these boards making up any stories about the crime on Bonaire. It's all been first hand accounts of people who have actually been the victims reporting here.

Glad you had a good time. I think it's a good thing you chose Curacao instead of Bonaire, you might not have come back with your clothes. (just kidding)

Seriously though, the issue has never been whether Bonaire or Curacao are having a crime problem it's the white washing of it every time another person posts a first hand account of the horrible experience they went through. Trying to pretend vehicles being broken into or items being stolen at dive sites, condo break ins and safe break ins while you are gone or room invasions are just the normal experience travellers should be used to whether you're on Bonaire or anywhere else is the issue.

Dave, where did you stay on the West End? I'm heading there in May with my girlfriend and looking for a nice place to stay, as well as a shop that will accommodate us diving 3-4 times a day...split between boat and shore dives.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Playa Grote Knip looks AMAZING.

Dave, where did you stay on the West End? I'm heading there in May with my girlfriend and looking for a nice place to stay, as well as a shop that will accommodate us diving 3-4 times a day...split between boat and shore dives.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Playa Grote Knip looks AMAZING.

We stayed at a small condo development called "Lagoon Ocean Resort" that was right on the cliffs by the small cove of Lagun Bay: Google Translate We rented from a Dutch woman who rents out three of the units there. Cost was $1,300 for 14 nights, including tax, which I thought was a very good deal. We had to do a bank transfer in Euros from my bank to her's in the Netherlands, but this worked fine. Obviously, what you end up paying in terms of U.S. dollars could vary based on the exchange rate. Everything was done via e-mails; the owner speaks good English. I recommend the place. Mostly Dutch people stay there. The condos are only a few years old, and although comfortable, are not luxurious. Electricity is very expensive on Curacao, and there is surcharge if you use too much in the condo. What this means is that you don't want to run the air conditioning all the time or it will cost you a bundle. We mostly ran air conditioning at night in the bedroom. The grounds are nicely landscaped. There were actually two dive shops on Lagun Bay within very easy walking distance. Send me a p.m. if you want more info.

I think the focus has been on Bonaire and not Curacao. Maybe it's a fiendish plot by the Curacaoans to drive tourism to their island instead of Bonaire?

So far I haven't seen anybody on these boards making up any stories about the crime on Bonaire. It's all been first hand accounts of people who have actually been the victims reporting here.

Glad you had a good time. I think it's a good thing you chose Curacao instead of Bonaire, you might not have come back with your clothes. (just kidding)

Seriously though, the issue has never been whether Bonaire or Curacao are having a crime problem it's the white washing of it every time another person posts a first hand account of the horrible experience they went through. Trying to pretend vehicles being broken into or items being stolen at dive sites, condo break ins and safe break ins while you are gone or room invasions are just the normal experience travellers should be used to whether you're on Bonaire or anywhere else is the issue.

I read a lot of this crime stuff before I went, and there have been some instances of crime on Curacao similar to that on Bonaire. Actually, the place I had originally reserved on Curacao was robbed (found out about this on this board), and I ended up switching my reservation to another place. This worked out well, because the second place was quite nice in a great location, and was also cheaper.

Check out my trip report from last summer - sounds like what you are looking for:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ab...a-ocean-encounters-west-june-july-2009-a.html

(We were not robbed either, but certainly heard reports from the diveshop staff and and took their advice on what not to bring when we did our one 'off-campus' shore dive.)

Thanks for posting this Dave! In late Jan. while dining at Sol Food we met a couple from Alaska whom were staying at Lagun Blou. I don't know if it was you, if so, nice meeting you!

Great trip report Diving Panda! We are returning to Curacao in July and will be staying at the Kura Hulanda Lodge. I really appreciate your description of the rooms and facilities.

Great trip report!

We've not been robbed during our travels anywhere so far. We've been to Bonaire, Curacao, and St. Croix each 3 times and we're returning to St. Croix and Curacao for a 4th visit to those 2 spots this year.

Hopefully we'll continue to travel sucessfully taking sensible precautions.

Thanks for posting this Dave! In late Jan. while dining at Sol Food we met a couple from Alaska whom were staying at Lagun Blou. I don't know if it was you, if so, nice meeting you!

Great trip report Diving Panda! We are returning to Curacao in July and will be staying at the Kura Hulanda Lodge. I really appreciate your description of the rooms and facilities.

Thanks. It wasn't us. We were there the last week of Feb. and first week of March. Sol Food was good, and we ate there twice.

Very nice dive report, Dave... Thanks.

I am glad you were able to read through the lines of "those accused of white-wash vs. those who bash". Especially since Curacao has a reputation similar to Bonaire with similar diving but fewer divers per year.

It seems you had an excellent experience and will return. I have not been to Aruba or Curacao, but will get there some time in the future. Good diving to ya!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom