Turks and Caicos Shore/Shallow water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoshell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I were certified in the 90s on the Florida east coast. Since then we have moved to North Carolina and have not done much diving. Our 14 yr old son is newly certified last summer and we are looking to diving again as a family. We want to take our first big trip this summer. This will be his first salt water/coral reef diving.

Our son is not allowed to go deeper than 60 feet so I'm looking for shore diving and/or shallow diving. Can't get frequent flier flight into Bonaire so am looking for other shore diving venues. Grand Cayman looked like it would fit, but seems expensive and touristy.

Is there any shore diving in Turks and Caicos or do you have to take a boat? There are so many islands, I guess maybe you need to move around to get to the best dive sites? Also, maybe I'm chicken, but I've seen an awful lot of posts about sharks there.

Thanks all!

We're going to T&C this summer and my understanding is that there is no shore diving there. If you've ruled out Bonaire and Grand Cayman (FWIW, I'd rethink finding a way to get to Bonaire), then take a look at Curaçao - we were there last summer and I posted a trip report in the ABC Islands Forum - the diving is easy and appropriate for new divers. For a smaller trip, you could also think about a long weekend in Key Largo, but it sounds like you're familiar with that.

Also, if you and your husband haven't been diving since the 90's, then it's probably a good idea to (minimally) take a refresher - you may want to take a full course as well.

There is great shore diving in T & C near Turtle Bay! You can boat dive as well on some shallow reefs, but most of the good ones are deeper than most locations in the Caribbean! The 60ft limit is a suggestion not a rule! It depends on his ability and comfort! 60ft in California is 90ft in the Caribbean! Really!

Most of the reef starts at 60ft. off west Caicos, if you go to northwest point it does as well. Diving in Grace Bay is not that great but would fall in your category. Take the advice that Curacao may be an option, Cozumel has some great diving in less than 60 ft., for an example Columbia Shallows is an area that is 40ft. max but of course there can be current and that can be exciting and yet it can scare a new diver.

I agree with the other posters. The diving in TCI is amazing, but the walls off West Caicos are not shallow. Because the reef starts at about 60', the first dive was usually to between 85-95' and the second to 65-75 or 80'. You can always stay a bit shallower, but if you're much above about 50-55' you'll be a bit above the reef.

I was really glad that my husband and I had our nitrox cert for this diving (people doing multiple days of diving were starting to be limited by deco limits) and that we'd done our AOW and gotten about 40 or 50 dives under our belt before we dove here. We had a blast, but if I'd done this trip earlier I would have been a little anxious about the depth and it wouldn't have been as much fun. I think you'd do well to try one of the other locations suggested and then when you have a little more experience you will enjoy this place more.

The Florida Keys are nearby, and have loads of nice, easy, shallow diving, so you might consider that too.

There is shore diving in T&C at the coral gardens resort. I think it is a max of around 30 feet. I did a night dive there. Nice little reef.

There is shore diving in T&C at the coral gardens resort. I think it is a max of around 30 feet. I did a night dive there. Nice little reef.

This has been a snorkel area as well as there's a small reef for diving.

There is great shore diving in T & C near Turtle Bay!

Thanks for the info, guys - we'll be sure to check it out when we're there in July. Where do you get tanks for the shore diving? We'll be diving with Dive Provo.

I am in T&C providenciales right now.
I belive you will have a hard time doing a shallow dive here. all dive ops diving plan are decided the morning of the dive. you need to book the day before without knowing where you will go.
Because of this system I only and always been to west caicos. Maybe I am out of luck but I feel they always go there. boat ride are about 45-55 min and dive depth from 55-95ft.

I saw some divers with dive provo in coral garden 2 days ago while I was snorkeling. dive depth is 10-20. Boyency is hard to manage at this depth for begginers. Best way to explore coral garden is from snorkeling, since most of the reef is in less then 10 ft. I saw many things there. Cudas, scorpion fish, squid , spotted rays , turtle, groupers, lobsters, angels, moray ells ...
Your son can always snorkel, the best FREE snorkel place in provo is Smith reef. 10-15 walk on the rocky beach , the the reef is huge and not comparable to coral garden. it's a must and you will probly the only people there.

In the end West caicos diving is OK and deep. Colors are dull and not many fish when I compare it Cozumel.on the other hand if you like big animal I saw big sharks cudas and one huge hammer head once. I rather snorkel to Smith reef for free all day , then pay $125 for a west caicos 2 tanks dive. If you are lucky enough to go somewhere else diving might be better.

Apparently grand turk as amazing diving walls not comparable to west caicos , but I never been there.
My best dives were not made in T&C but is so far the best snorkeling I have ever made.
Enjoy your trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom