Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjwheel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Certified in 1985 with PADI instructor. Dont see much here about PADI certification. Are they a thing of the past? My wife is looking to certify. Which program is the best?

PADI is everywhere. They are still around and may be the most recognized scuba certification agency worldwide. I just did the PADI program and it was good, a lot depends on your instructor though.

Before anyone goes crazy in this thread...please remember the TOS and that this is a flame free zone!

That being said...you can go to www.PADI.com to check into shops in your area. There are also other agencies such as NAUI and SSI that are very common. I would just check out your LDS and see what works best for you. If it has been awhile since you have dived, a refresher course would be recommended and you can do it with your wife's certification course.

Happy diving!
Carolyn:shark2:

Before anyone goes crazy in this thread...please remember the TOS and that this is a flame free zone!

Who would flame someone for asking an innocent question like which agency is the best?

Thanks, been out of the dive scene for 20 plus years. Local dive shop here is PADI, but I will be the first to admit, sometimes Idaho is a little behind the times. Just making sure I am on the right track. Thanks Carolyn, was already planning a refresher course. Got to get the rust out!

Carolyn:shark2:

Calm down, take a deep breath, thats it. now move your finger from the Mod button slowly.

PADI The Way the World Learns to Dive? - Find Scuba Diving Lessons, Scuba Certifications, Dive Shops, Dive Resorts, Scuba Gear, Scuba Diving Trips and Vacations, Scuba Diving Careers can help you find a padi shop in your area.

Thanks, been out of the dive scene for 20 plus years. Local dive shop here is PADI, but I will be the first to admit, sometimes Idaho is a little behind the times. Just making sure I am on the right track. Thanks Carolyn, was already planning a refresher course. Got to get the rust out!

After 20 years, you may find some things have changed. Yet the physics of course have not.

Many of my students bring their previously certified partners along and they retrain with their Significant Others. Could be a fun time for you and your wife.

To reiterate what others have said and add some more... PADI is still around, and probably larger than you remember. Certification has become more mainstreamed (from what the "older" divers tell me at least) but a lot of the same ideas. Probably worth taking a refresher course to understand the latest gear trends and advancements in safety understanding while your wife gets certified.

My wife has traveled with me (as a non-diver) all around the world and i would love to have a wife that dived. Not going to happen in my case. You are lucky as it is a great thing to share. I am envious.

As for agencies, I am really only familiar with PADI and BSAC (British Clubs). I am told that all agencies are pretty much similar although i am sure there are some standard differences. I think the above comments about finding a LDS and instructor that you like and are comofortable with is the best advice to consider as your choice on who to dive/certify with.

Best of luck and have fun underwater together.

Back
Top Bottom