What got you into diving? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukilly we were just in a relationship Randy, but i think i need
the therapy. . :rofl3:

Live the dive and dive to live. . . . :burnout:

Born and raised on the Island of Cyprus (Republic of Cyprus).
cyprus - Google Maps

The open water was always accessible and since I can remember I was in the water with a mask, a pair of fins and a snorkel looking around underwater at what was going on.
The life underwater wasnt anything spectacular (no reefs and the marine life that goes with it but hey).
I remember my parents having to drag me out of the water.
Sometimes I was literally in the water for hours.
Couldnt get enough. The different sports I got involved with (competitive level) included swimming and sailing among many others. I was definately feeling comfortable in the water from a very young age.

I was always amazed by the deep ocean but never attempted anything more than 5-8meters deep. I never got involved with scuba, not until this past summer, only because there was nobody to give me that nudge to go do the training. I was always curious and willing to become a diver, should the situation favored such a thing, but there was noone around (family or friends) that was into diving.

Luckily for me, I met my girlfriend who was already certified and she convinced me to do OW.

(trust me, the conversation didnt take long
GF- You should become certified so that we can go diving together
Me- Ok, I will.

Next day I signed up for the course at a LDS and 2 weeks later I had gone down to 20 m and already had 5 dives under my belt!! )

Then I convinced her to (and paid for) do AOW with me and here I am.
She says that she created a monster :)D , :eyebrow:) cause I am always online reading SB, browsing through different online shops for equipment and if it were possible I would take her for diving every weekend. ( I always wonder, do you people do this too? Or is it just me?)

I was and still am a junkie for TV shows like Jacques Cousteau, discovery, nat geo, animal planet etc. Anything that has to do with underwater ( I even watched tech diving inside a silo on TV - does that make me a weirdo? certainly some people do think so).

I guess I was prepared to become a diver all my life but I just didnt know it!!!

Good to be part of this family!!!

I was working on a oil rig, and the dive team asked me if I wanted to try a dive after work. I said ok and a months time later I was headed for the commercial dive school. Then gradually I went more and more into technical diving. Now I'm just trying to find a balance between the two :coffee:

Growing up by the water it was either surfing or diving. I started surfing but my fixation to rocks was going to kill me, after being black and blue and near-drown repeatedly I decided that I needed the peaceful side of the ocean.

There was no surf on the Sulu Sea. Or here in Belize.

Mike Nelson made me do it.

I have a good customer in Wisconsin who has become a friend over the years. Anyway, about five years ago he tells me he and his wife are planning a dive trip to Roatan and we ought to get certified and come along. So we decide to go for it and four years ago we finished our OW referral at Fantasy Island. We had a wonderful time with a great couple and have been avid divers ever since. Sadly, his wife died from breast cancer about 1 1/2 years ago.

At First all I wanted was to be able to breath u/w "for an hour", and go deep (as in 100'), after getting certified and getting to know what other diving related activities where out there it ended up putting me on a one track mind with a goal of something that isin't going to happen over night...

My husbands incessant nagging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom