Strobe Angles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking of the strobe as sort of a spotter light. I had it forward and directly at the subject. I am waiting to get back in the water to experiment some more. Thank all of you for the great advice and tutelage.
Do you use a spotting light at night? Do you turn it off before the strobe flash? Should I think of adding one to my rig?
Thanks for the great links also. I have been working my way through this one
Underwater Photography Guide

-I have to keep reminding myself that learning this stuff is a marathon, not a sprint.

I am not sure why you said that your shot (which is very nice by the way) wouldn't work with the strobe above the lens? I don't see much shadow evidence here, certainly nothing that suggests the strobe was off to the side. What am I missing. By the way, I wasn't suggesting a shortcut but rather a type of positioning for lots of macro shots that works without lots of fiddling. Wide angle is a whole different story.

Bill

It is the point that there is no shadowing because the strobes are to the side of the tentacles and not above which would cast a shadow down on the shrimp! You missed nothing except no shadow as planned:wink:

Wide angle is a lot different as you want the wides angle of strobe you can afford and the wider the bigger the cost! But still us the target idea!

thanks guy's for all your ideas going this weekend so hope to put some of these ideas into practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom