Cozumel vs. Cabo San Lucas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cancun/Cozumel was my very first diving...awesome! Now, first time to Cabo (since I was about 9 anyway) coming up in a couple of weeks. 'Looks like I'll need something warm to wear (5mm) or could I manage a 3mm on a shallow dive? I can't rent anything that would fit there (need 4x to 5x), so I'm trying to plan what to bring. I'm thinking that my 7mm California wear might be a bit too much. Thoughts?

I don't think the 7 mm would be out of the question this time of year but you should be comfortable in a 5mm; of course I dive 7 mm for anything colder than 78 degrees. . The water temps in Cabo in Feb.- March may be in the low to mid 60's.

I've owned a Timeshare in Cabo for the last 8 years, plus I've lived in Baja (Loreto) and grew up down the peninsula. I also hit Playa/Coz 2 times a year. Without a doubt...for me... Playa is far better. The only thing Cabo has on it is Fishing.

Diving - Playa/Coz
Nightlife - Playa
Activities - Playa/Coz
Cost - Playa/Coz

We've been to both places, it's the locals in Cozumel that make the big difference, Cozumel hands down:D

Cozumel vs Cabo for diving, is this a trick question?? You have chosen wisely.

Note that Cabo is also very expensive especially for Mexico... I found it more expensive than in the US, some of the restaurants are outrageously expensive for what they offer! I have dined at much better restaurants (in terms of food and ambience) in Cancún for about the same cost.

You can do the silver mine tours, ride 4 wheelers, do the water park, and have great sport fishing in Cabo. However the diving is not nearly as good for viz and coral as in Cozumel. You may see more larger sea life in Cabo, but if I were choosing, Cozumel would be my choice. I own in Cabo and have only been there once. I usually swap it out for Cozumel.

Cancun/Cozumel was my very first diving...awesome! Now, first time to Cabo (since I was about 9 anyway) coming up in a couple of weeks. 'Looks like I'll need something warm to wear (5mm) or could I manage a 3mm on a shallow dive? I can't rent anything that would fit there (need 4x to 5x), so I'm trying to plan what to bring. I'm thinking that my 7mm California wear might be a bit too much. Thoughts?
I don't think the 7 mm would be out of the question this time of year but you should be comfortable in a 5mm; of course I dive 7 mm for anything colder than 78 degrees. . The water temps in Cabo in Feb.- March may be in the low to mid 60's.
'Still in Cabo today. Nice dive on March 1 with Manta Divers. Used my 7mm, no hood, no gloves, 73° at depth, felt great! Pelican Rock and Land's End, sea lions, white tip shark, sea horse, puffer fish, octopus, moray eel. Roll-in entry from a panga boat with 6 other divers and 2 dive masters was actually a nice break from the hustle of a crowded weekend boat in California, 'course warmer water is always welcome! However, there's not much else to see here short of making a day to Cabo Pulmo or Gorda Banks in the Summer. So, next trip is back to Coz!

Hands down for vacation diving Cozumel!!!! As said as different than California is to Florida! People dive both, but given a choice I'll take Cozumel! Cobo if your going for a certain fish or reason, but not a good dive destination compared to Coz!!! Watching Sand fall into the deep gets boring pretty fast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom