Curious Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hardest -- I've not really had a class I've considered hard. The one I've worked the most in thus far has been my IDC -- but I work much harder at it than is actually required by the course itself, so I'm not sure if that makes the course hard or makes me hard on myself.

Most Beneficial -- Easily my dry suit class. Learning how to dive comfortably and with much better buoyancy control significantly improved my diving, led to the purchase of a suit that allowed me to dive year round locally, and really simply increased my enjoyment of diving exponentially.

Favorite -- I would have to say rescue, though I could answer ice diving tomorrow. My class was taught by a fellow who is both a paramedic and a public safety diver. The information presented was top notch, and where the agency course was lacking (or simply against current best practices) he provided a great deal of additional information. Myself and two others in the class also had a great deal of emergency medical experience (me as a combat medic and trainer for army, one as a trauma nurse, and one as navy corpsman). Plus we were all a bunch of natural smart-alecs. It made for a heck of a fun course.

Educational -- A fish behavior course I took from a marine biologist. I've never looked at the underwater world the same since. I see so much more than I could have before.

I was thinking about what was the most fun. The most fun class I took wasn't a class, or at least I didn't know it was. I connected with a very fine instructor and asked him to do an evaluation dive with me and my buddy. He did, and threw all kinds of interesting problems at us to solve (it really was two of the most mind-boggling and challenging dives of my life, and fun in a really sick way) and then said he wanted to work with us every six weeks or so for a while. So we set up diving days, and paid a modest sum to him for each of them (and it was pretty darned modest) and we did this three times.

Diving lessons. No card on the line, no set curriculum, just a fine instructor working where he wanted to as he saw our needs and our weak points. The last weekend, he told us, "Go get a helium fill for tomorrow, we're doing experience dives." We were flummoxed -- experience dives for WHAT? Turned out we had been doing a NAUI Helitrox class we didn't know we were taking. We ended up with a card, which was nice; but we ended up with a ton of education, which was much nicer.

Hardest? NAUI ITC. I even cried.
The most beneficial? BSA Climbing Instructor. Pulling my shoulder physically out of the socket made diving the only choice. :)

Just out of curiosity what in your opinion was the hardest, most benificial, favorite, educational, and/or Contntribuiting Dive class/course you've taken? This question goes out to all divers, be it in the Open Water Recreational, Overhead, Technical, and Rebreather Diving realm....

Hardest - NAUI Trimix I & II

Most beneficial - GUE Fundamentals

Favorite - NAUI Wreck Penetration

Educational - YMCA SLAM (Rescue)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rescue for sure. I felt like I was not helpless anymore.

Just out of curiosity what in your opinion was the hardest, most benificial, favorite, educational, and/or Contntribuiting Dive class/course you've taken? This question goes out to all divers, be it in the Open Water Recreational, Overhead, Technical, and Rebreather Diving realm....

Full cave was physically the hardest. We swam 10,000 feet each day in dry suits & doubles.

Deco was the most challenging from a technical skill perspective. Multi-tasking while maintaining navigation and buoyancy control was very challenging.

Gas blending was the most beneficial, allowed me start operating my own home compressor.

By fare I agree on Full cave! Trudging through the swamp with twin 108s on my back and climbing into the springs! Trying to learn to trim them and perfect buoyancy! You improve your dive skills and thinking skills more than any other training I have done in 38 years of diving!
820_DSC00120_on_the_tail_gate_LVF.jpg

Just a reminder of the OP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom