Has anyone Dived in La Paz, Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grss74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for feedback of any kind on diving La Paz. Anyone been there? What can you tell me? Have you not been, but know someone who has? Any feedback would be appreaciated! :crafty:

The diving is good. It's different in that it does not have large coral reefs (rocky reefs). Most sites are an hour or more boat ride, but the ride is nice and we saw pilot whales and dolphins everyday. The shop we dove with did 3 tanks dives, so it's a full day trip with a hot lunch included. I don't think it is a great place for someone who is traveling with a non-diver since we were typically gone from 8am-4pm. Tons of marine life. We went in late July and the conditions were just getting good. We were told the "prime" season is August-October.

We flew into Cabo and did the drive up. It was not too bad, but be patient. Some of the corners come fast and there are alot of crosses marking those that were not as patient. I think there are some good option for flights into La Paz now.

I loved the town of La Paz. Plenty of good places to eat and stay. It is tourist friendly without feeling like a tourist trap.

Last edited:
Hi we were diving in La Paz two years ago. The town of La Paz was great. The diving was amazing. We saw whale sharks, sea lions that played with the divers, very cool ship wreks. When we were there is had a very strong current but it still was a wonderful trip.

No. But I've been in some dives in La Paz.

I was there in June 2007. Stayed and dived with Club Cantamar.
Scuba Diving Baja California Sea of Cortez La Paz Mexico - which I thought was good value.
It was worthwhile having a rental car to drive into town from Club Cantamar and back.

The water temperature was a bit colder than what I'm used to - but I rented a thicker wetsuit and did fine.

The sea lions were definitely a highlight for me.
We missed a whaleshark at El Bajo by one day (we met research boat that was tracking a whaleshark they spotted the day before.)
We also didn't see any hammerheads - but viz in El Bajo during our dive was less than 10 meters. The hammers could have been there just outside our visibility range.

Overall it was a fun relaxing trip, with mostly easy dives. We also saw dolphins almost every day.

Here are a few poor quality photos I took
P6070083.JPG

P6080125.JPG

P6100215.JPG

What time of year were you there? Do you know if the current is seasonal?

Best time to go is August thru December. The water warms up so you can wear a 3 mm suit, and the sea lions are born in April so they are old enough to play with you. They are indeed the best part but the diving is good overall. The people and food are wonderful too.

We ran into some currents in September that were pretty strong. On one dive I got in first and was quickly swept away from the boat. I swam to the line and suggested that we move elsewhere, which we did. It was evident to the DM and captain that diving at that spot would have been tricky, especially for the new divers. For the most part, though, I don't remember the current being a big issue.

My wife and I dove La Paz a few years ago. We didn't see any whalesharks or hammerheads. We _did_ see sea lions, scorpion fish, sea horses, and oodles of sergeant majors (I just love those little guys). It was nice diving but I thought they did a disservice by advertising the big animals and ignoring the other sea life.

We dove with Club Cantamar. The rides to the dive site were long. The food was adequate (but there's good food in town). The biggest bummer, though, was probably having to clean our own gear at the end of the day -- not a problem, really, but a bit of a hastle at the end of a long dive day.

Send me a PM if you want more info about diving in La Paz I live here and run a small dive operator.

baja-aventuras.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom