AI Computer vs SPG, or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is AI sensor just big NO on the DIR? I am like Mike G and want the data. I don't mind using SPG during the dive at all but when dive is over I want to plug that computer to my laptop and download the data (including air consumption).

There will be no AI transmitters allowed on any of my teammates regs while diving. I seriously doubt anyone that I know who is Tech 1 or above would show up to do a dive with a transmitter connected to their reg. Fundies is all about suggestions....the standards are explained, the information is given, the skills are taught/shown and the student can accept all of it, part of it or not at all.

Air consumption can be easily calculated by avg depth, time, and volume used. No need to add gear (expensive gear, at that) to perform that task.

Air consumption can be easily calculated by avg depth, time, and volume used. No need to add gear (expensive gear, at that) to perform that task.

However air consumption changes can't be so easily calculated as they have to be sampled.

There will be no AI transmitters allowed on any of my teammates regs while diving.

And I was wondering where the comments about DIR came from.

What kind of change do you consider significant? My SAC rate is pretty even and doesn't change a whole lot from dive to dive. Are you looking for some sort of specific data?

And I was wondering where the comments about DIR came from.
This is the DIR forum. Those of us in here have varying degrees of interest in DIR, and if someone chooses to dive a 100% DIR team, that's their right to do. We all do this for fun, and I'm a pretty firm believer that a person should do whatever they feel is the most safe way to do things.

I really wish mods would remove the non DIR posts from this forum as of recent however. There's outside forums on this board to discuss non DIR tech and recreational ideas.

What kind of change do you consider significant? My SAC rate is pretty even and doesn't change a whole lot from dive to dive. Are you looking for some sort of specific data?
Mine does. You KILLED my SAC in Jupiter recently on dive 1, then we were near even dive 2. Scootering to the insulation rooms I killed urs. Swimming a single stage you came out slightly ahead. I think it changes a fair amount.

Peter likes having the gas consumption data download from his computer. I don't care that much. I'll admit that there are many days that, by the time the dive gets downloaded for logging, I've long since forgotten my starting and ending pressures. But my gas consumption has been predictable for so long that I don't really mind. I know what I tend to do on a quiet dive, or when running line, or when working with students, and I certainly don't care if it's .42 or .44 on any given day.

I would not bounce somebody from a tech team I was leading, simply because they had a transmitter, if the transmitter were oriented so that it was not an entanglement hazard and not likely to hit the ceiling. It's an o-ring, just like a port plug. If the diver has a standard SPG, I don't see how a transmitter is a problem. It's not DIR; it's not necessary, and the money spent on it might well be better spent on training, experience, or other NECESSARY equipment. But I don't draw lines in the sand over such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom