Assembling regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before buying the thin wrenches I took a bit of aluminum strap from Home D and cut my own "thin wrench" to fit those Apeks nuts. Light and rust proof :wink:
Why didn't I think of that? Create your own corrosion-proof, lightweight wrenches. That's a great idea.

Alternatively, why couldn't Apeks just develop a heat exchanger nut that can be tightened up against the hose swivel nut by hand? Then I wouldn't have to carry around two wrenches.

What about that tool-dip stuff that they sell over at Home Depot? Could I dip those stainless steel wrenches in that stuff? I wonder how long the coating would last.

We would like to suggest a solution. Tribolube EPO2 is an oxygen compatible corrosion coating system. This coating will halt corrosion of the wrenches, and will avoid the posibility of hydrocarbon contamination.

Why didn't I think of that? Create your own corrosion-proof, lightweight wrenches. That's a great idea.

Alternatively, why couldn't Apeks just develop a heat exchanger nut that can be tightened up against the hose swivel nut by hand? Then I wouldn't have to carry around two wrenches.

What about that tool-dip stuff that they sell over at Home Depot? Could I dip those stainless steel wrenches in that stuff? I wonder how long the coating would last.

Ran into another concern with my new Innovative Scuba wrenches; the 9/16" wrench is a touch to narrow to fit some 9/16" nuts. Obviously not the greatest of tools out there ... sigh.

Henrik

Ran into another concern with my new Innovative Scuba wrenches; the 9/16" wrench is a touch to narrow to fit some 9/16" nuts. Obviously not the greatest of tools out there ... sigh.
@HenrikBP: Yeah. I don't think that the Innovative Scuba wrenches are precision instruments by any stretch. They're thin, light, and relatively inexpensive. That's about it. I've noticed a tiny bit of play in at least one of the wrench openings. I'll have to check to see whether it's the 9/16" one.
Cone wrenches that you can purchase at any bike shop might be a more appropriate tool for working on regs in a home or shop setting. Another alternative is the tappet wrench sold at auto stores.

Thanks for calling this to our attention.

I just bought those wrenches to bring along in the save-a-dive kit replacing 4 individual stubby combination wrenches. Of course it would be nice if they fit the hose fittings :)

Now, what we need is someone with a water jet to cut us some precisely fitting, short double-ended wrenches from aluminum stock :wink:

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom