What to expect in Siesta Key / Sarasota Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-junky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I have been invited to Siesta Key which is close to Sarasota Florida. We will be driving down from Arizona and plan on bringing all of our dive gear.

Does ANYONE have any information on where to dive while we're in that part of the state? Any specific beaches to dive off? Any special dives close by that we should especially try to include on our trip?

Any dive related help or recommondations in this area would really be appreciated.

Norm

My wife and I have been invited to Siesta Key which is close to Sarasota Florida. We will be driving down from Arizona and plan on bringing all of our dive gear.

Does ANYONE have any information on where to dive while we're in that part of the state? Any specific beaches to dive off? Any special dives close by that we should especially try to include on our trip?

Any dive related help or recommondations in this area would really be appreciated.

Norm

Expect a lot of old people, a lot of great early bird specials and some fossil/shark tooth diving around the Venice Beach area which is not far from there.

Thanks soamelt. I'm not too sure of what you meant by "great early bird specials".

I read just a little about the fossil/shark tooth diving around Venice Beach. I couldn't find any maps or good directions to any specific dive sites yet, but I'll keep looking.

Are there any good dive sites within a couple hour drive of Sarisota that would be well worth checking out?

Expect a lot of old people, a lot of great early bird specials and some fossil/shark tooth diving around the Venice Beach area which is not far from there.

Norm,

Siesta Key is a nice place, it has a mixture of old town charm and modern city. When do you plan on coming down? Tourist season will be here until around Easter, after that things calm down throughout FL. Can't speak much on dive sites around that area but I can, on the Venice Beach area Shark tooth/Fossils however you should check it out. It's about an 1hr south, and Venice is another small town with charm that's nice to visit. Diving in the Gulf is not the best but we make do with it. You can do shore dives but if you want some really nice finds I suggest you use one of the local charthers that will take you about a mile off shore to the "BoneYard". There you will likely find the elusive 'Megs" Shark Teeth. Diving across the state is a alot better, the water is clearer and ther are reefs close to shore. If you have time I recommend driving over, it's only about a 3-4 hr trip.

As Mr. Melt said...
You will see lots and lots of "almost dead people".....
There is some diving there actually, but other than the teeth it is a long way out.
Three hours to the east is Palm Beach, (two and a half if you speed and want to meet a city of Okeechobee police officer).
Chug
Likes to eat at Phillippi Creek Village Restaurant & Oyster Bar.

Thanks soamelt. I'm not too sure of what you meant by "great early bird specials".

I read just a little about the fossil/shark tooth diving around Venice Beach. I couldn't find any maps or good directions to any specific dive sites yet, but I'll keep looking.

Are there any good dive sites within a couple hour drive of Sarisota that would be well worth checking out?

"Early Bird Specials" are discounted meals that restaurants give if you go early, normally before 6 p.m. or so. After that the prices go up. Very popular with the old folks. That's why we joke about older people having dinner at 4 p.m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom