Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msqinc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

We're planing a trip to Anthony's Key Resort in Roatán Honduras. Does anybody have any good or bad info about the place?

Thanks

GO--if you go to Anthony's Key and don't enjoy thoroughly the experience (except the stairs of course---and you'll understand what I mean after you get there) something will be seriously wrong. If you care to pm me I will be happy to link you up with our pictures of the resort so you can get a better idea of the fun you will have there.

I loved it. been there three times, once at Anthony's Key and two times at the West End. Will be going back in June or July.

For as well established a place that AKR truly is, it is surprising how few reports from visitors are posted here on SCUBABoard.

You will likely not be disappointed in any way with this world class resort.

What is on the internet and yours for an easy search: How different months of the year impact such North side resorts differently than those on the South.

Besides weather, what you will want to know is that AKR has the financial wherewithal and dive boat infrastructure to take you to other parts of the island when the weather would otherwise be a no-go for the North/West zones of Roatan.

I agree with CajunCru that the steps to the restaurant can be annoying, but have some other points to consider. They have pretty much-so quit featuring the "shore dive" which is rarely done... and you'll see why. It is only "open" from 3-9pm. If you forget something at the dive boat dock- your room is quite a few minutes away to make a run back and forth. If you are selecting AKR because of the Dolphins, understand that you'll be over that pretty quickly, and every other resort has paid access as well- along with a whole bunch of cruise ship divers, which is their main income source.

The dive boat schedule is very European:

8:30 a.m. Dive boats depart for first single-tank dive
10:30 a.m. Dive boats depart for second single-tank dive
2:30 p.m Dive boats depart for third single-tank dive

This schedule allows for surface intervals of approximately 45 minutes while boats return to AKR. It also provides divers the flexibility to miss an early or late morning dive if desired, without missing the boat.

That is kind of code for "you'll likely only select one of the two morning dives" as making both of them can be kind of a hump giving you about 30 minutes (max) between boat #1 and #2. Not much time to do anything other than go potty at the dock's bathroom and grab a drink of water. A run back to a room, if you are on the "key" is not likely. They run only two night dives during the week.

BIG positives: AKR is a few minutes cab ride away from West Bay area so if you want to hit the bars and restaurants- it's a quick trip. The dive boat fleet is top shelf in a Deep-Vee configuration- ideal for that side of the island. The dive staff is always well regarded. The restaurant, altho quite a hike up the hill, is always enjoyed by guests.

My LDS runs 2 trips a year to AKR and they are well received. We went in September 2008 and loved it. The diving is as easy as anywhere I have ever been.

If you go, skip the dolphin dive for the dolphin encounter. You will get more interaction time with the animals. The plus of the shark dive is you get to do it from one of AKR's boats leaving directly from the resort. They also video at least one dive a day with a declining price for every dive you buy. Makes for a very nice keepsake.

Thank you for al the feedback! I'm So excited about this trip! Except for the steps..:) I haven't heard much bad. Were going in Sept. I hope we miss the rain, but I can't wait.

We went to AKR Dec 26-Jan 2. Had a wonderful time!!! While the accomodations aren't 5 star they are quite comfortable. We had a Key Superior bungalow. The food is good and plenty of it. Their water system is good too, you can (we did) drink water from the tap. Shower had hot water and our needs were taken care of. The diving was WONDERFUL. Though it is a bit of a hike to go for food from the Key, (we were about as far away from the dining area as you could get (#27) I would return gladly. The video of the dives is an excellent way to remember your diving there. While there I got in 17 dives while there. I know you can get more dives in at other places but for this "mature" diver 3 a day is usually enough for me. However the night dive is also a plus. We went to West End one afternoon, fun place, lots of "stuff" to look at. Overall I think AKR is an excellent resort that is very well managed and organized. You will throughly enjoy your stay.

The only problem I have with AKR is the ridiculous difference between A/C rooms and those without. I realize that there are a few other differences in the rooms, but none that justify the price span. The food is good, the staff is excellent and the dive boats are the best on the island, by far. If you decide to go with them, I am sure you will greatly enjoy your stay. I have been to Roatan numerous times (20 or so) and have stayed with quite a few resorts. AKR is one of the best.

The only problem I have with AKR is the ridiculous difference between A/C rooms and those without. I realize that there are a few other differences in the rooms, but none that justify the price span. The food is good, the staff is excellent and the dive boats are the best on the island, by far. If you decide to go with them, I am sure you will greatly enjoy your stay. I have been to Roatan numerous times (20 or so) and have stayed with quite a few resorts. AKR is one of the best.

We had a Key Superior Bungalow (with AC). It was superior to the others in many ways. I think the extra money for the Superior is well spent money. Especially for us as we are used to the dry (and somewhat cooler) climate here in Colorado.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom