SCIP - Directed at the more mature diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlcoker

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In 1971 I took a dive course in Oklahoma at a junior college and got certified. The certifying organization was Southwest Council Instructors Program, SCIP. I still have the card, and no one has failed to honor it, though many have stated that they have never heard of it. Does anyone know if the orgaization still exists? Did it fold into another orgaization? My card is quite tattered as it is of paper not plastic. I would like to get another card and keep the old one for back-up, as well as sentimental reasons.

Thanks

I reccomend you contact NAUI and get transferred over to a new card, and then frame your SCIP card. I have people that still marvel at my 1984 PADI card. Not quite as novel, but still a conversation peice.

rlcoker
Yes, that card is history for sure. Do something to preserve it. The SCIP Instructor card was a thin piece of Stainless Steel that was etched with name, etc.. Very Impressive.
SCIP was a great program and suffered from being "local," like LA County that still exists.
SCIP had some training manuals that were second to none. Wish I could acquire some for the collection.
Dick Wilgus, an old SCIP instructor, is still active @ Dive Toledo on Toledo Bend Reservoir.
Bill

rlcoker
Yes, that card is history for sure. Do something to preserve it. The SCIP Instructor card was a thin piece of Stainless Steel that was etched with name, etc.. Very Impressive.
SCIP was a great program and suffered from being "local," like LA County that still exists.
SCIP had some training manuals that were second to none. Wish I could acquire some for the collection.
Dick Wilgus, an old SCIP instructor, is still active @ Dive Toledo on Toledo Bend Reservoir.
Bill

I still have my SCIP Card (not instructor) that I earned at the age of 14 in Shreveport, LA. I think I have my manual buried away but can't immediately find it. Here is a link for the manuals that is interesting if you have not seen it:

Well I don't have enough posts to place link so will do it later.

Back
Top Bottom