We dont need no stinkin badges!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya If I was say YouTube - PADI Audition then yes a bikini made from patches would be cool, unfortunately, for me it would just be gross.

I am liking the coaster idea more and more.

You know, I need a new bikini.

/Where did you find the link to this?? Now I feel like a :dork2:

OK so you have been doing the instruction game awhile and now you have a pile of nice badges that came with your certifications. If you do a search here on SB you will discover that there is a stigma against displaying them proudly on a dive trip. OK so what do you do with them? There is not any rank in diving but we do say things like a "higher level of diving" so how come I cant display my badges? I earned them, they gave them to me? and they might save me from listening to a nublits silly story about the time he dove to 60 ft and almost died when he discovered he had 300# of air.

I do not want to be the "look at me, I'm the Dude" kind of thing but I would like it known That I can teach 10 specialties if that were the case.

My latest idea is to sew them to my dive bag, that way it is not in your face on my chest or anything, but subtle. any thoughts Ideas on placement of the badges or should I just toss them and :shakehead: . unfortunately I was in the USMC and I like the Badges, What am I to do?

Sew them into the skin on your back! :rofl3:

Being military myself I understand your point but honestly, why don't you just let your badges show through your approach to diving. The best words are those not spoken. If you are the guy on the boat that actually does a dive plan, does proper equipment checks, etc. then other less experienced divers are going to notice and when they ask you questions based on your obvious skills, then your words will come into play. And if they are pretentious noobs that want to make everyone think that they are the skilled know-it-all, what you have, show or say is not going to matter to them anyway.

You're a Marine. Do what you were taught. Lead by example.

Out.

I stuck most of my badges on the outside of my loose leaf dive logbook folder. Some of them have been there for ten years now. (Don't have any other dive kit or clothing that have been with me that long!)

Patches bring me back to a funny story, had this guy who wanted to dive with a bunch of us and he came in wearing his dive master patch on one side of his jacket and his dive flag patch on the other side. Now if you can picture this they were sewn on the jacket only on the top and bottom almost like he picked them up somewhere that morning and didnt have time to do it right. They were flapping in the wind, just looked horrible. We went to the pool that night and invited him along and wouldnt you know he couldnt clear his mask, couldnt get under without someone telling him to let the air out of his BC and when we tried to have him remove and replace his BC under water he was trying to use the wall to help himself. Needless to say he was out of the pool and told he needed to go take an OW class.

So to me patches mean nothing, let me see you dive! If you want to strike up conversation about all the classes and certs you have by all means i'll listen, but thats just me.

Yeah, anyone can just buy those patches if they're for sale at a shop. I was camping and wearing the cap with my MSD patch on it (no divers around....). One guy said "You're not really a MSD are you?". Maybe lots of people buy them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom