Belize in Sept/Oct Any thoughts??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all

My wife and I are possibly considering hitting Belize (Via Liveaboard) in either Sept/Oct...

Can anybody advise what time of year is best for diving conditions , viz, water temp etc....I have heard that at different times of the year the conditions can vary. I (we) dont want any crappy (ie rainy) weather....would this be a good timeframe?

Also any suggestions for land locations would be great as well

Thanks in advance

It's the time of year when we're most likely to have a hurricane, so get comprehensive travel insurance well ahead of time. Once a hurricane looks possible you'll find it difficult to get cover.

That said, we haven't had a hurricane in a long while and diving conditions at that time of year can be absolutely superb.

I would agree that comprehensive trip insurance is a must during hurricane season. Chances are low that you would be affected but Belize has been the landing point for many a storm.

Another complication is that it is not always clear where a hurricane will strike as the initial tracking tends to show a very wide possible range of plr for some tim where the hurricane will hit landfall. You may be better to drop the liveaboard idea and do land based diving which gives you more flexibility as to where to go and what to do (and lets you spend the insurance money of fun things).

Good point. If a hurricane were to be forecast as passing through Belize you may find that the ship goes somewhere else anyway - the Bay Islands, for example. Check the small print on your contract with them.

You would probably be better off with a land-based trip at that time of year, but in any case remember that people aren't travelling as much as normal at present so you may well be able to book onto a liveaboard at the last minute at a reduced rate, once you're satisfied the chance of a hurricane is low. We normally get 3 or 4 days notice of a bad storm, and often a week's notice of disturbed weather. Do realise that this way you'll probably forfeit any chance of getting travel insurance though.

You specifically asked for non rainy weather and the time you are choosing is the Caribbeans rainy season including Belize.

Personally I would avoid those 2 months if you want the absolute best conditions for diving. June through November is considered Green Season (rainy season) and you can get frequent storms and rain showers. The best time to visit if doing a Liveaboard is Jan through May where the weather will be rain free although winds do pick up but this is not a problem for the liveaboards as there is plenty of leeward wall diving.

As Peter mentioned sometimes the diving conditions can be superb that time and I have had some memorable dives especially when there is a Hurricance out there pulling all the air away and leaving the seas dead calm.

Gaz Cooper

Thanks all - abandoning the idea .......gonna search for another spot and hopefully hit Belize sometime in the spring next year....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom