Poseidon Jetstream/Odin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry bud, I ain't sellin' :p. Besides, why buy used when you can buy new so cheap? I bought that older Zeagle for $300 before I knew better. I do have an older Sherwood Magnum with octo, that I'm considering selling :wink:.

Mike

... at the power plant in Soo Michigan ...
Hey, all the good stuff is on the upstream side in the power canal. We fished just about everything out of there you can imagine, bicycles, parking meters, guns, a couple of swords (kept those).
I suggest a tethered dive rather than a drift.
Use a couple of rolls of duct tape to make sure your gear stays in place, too. :tease:
Come to think of it, some tape on the eyebrows may not be a bad idea either. Wouldn't want them to get washed off.

Diving under the Coast Guard boat [Buckeye there yet?] is always fun & rewarding. The Coasties use the gangplank as a place to dispose of unwanted items. Lotsa coffee cups & dishes, hand tools, a few tons of chain...
Better check in with the OD or Captain before diving under the boat, might get nervous about that stuff nowdays.

Yeah, a buddy of mine dives at the power plant for lures all the time. I dove under the Coast Guard boat for the Sheriff Dept. a few years ago. Lot's of junk there. I would actually prefer to go there than the power plant.

Mike

Bob3,

LY and I were on the Sheriffs dive team when we went under the Coastie boat. With all the security here now, I think we would be shot if we did it again. As far as diving in the power canal, that too might raise some eyebrows with the local police. Diving on the backside of the power plant is a simple nice dive, and with new regs to test with the water at 40 degrees and flowing at 4+ knots, it really tests the gear.
As LY states, we have to use a 10 foot ladder over the fence because the water level is so low that the escape ladders are out of reach. I have to test my new drysuit for weighting and Apeks TX100 reg and find out if I am going to freeze. I really hate cold water drysuit or not.

Merry Christmas to all.

GHOF -- Using LY's login accidentally :).

P.S. Diveinn is great.

Hi, Buff.

Just read your "parable" regarding Scuba Inn. I have to admit, I am a bit wary about buying gear online since most major manufacturers specifically don't allow the sale of their gear through channels other than dive shops.

But that "warranty-through-company-you-bought-it-from" works for me, too, just as long as bottom line is you get your gear serviced and serviced right when the you need to.

Wondering about the prices, though. You said $36 from Spain to Michigan. I'm from Manila so I don't know how cheap that really is; how much would it NORMALLY cost you to ship a comparable amount of gear from Michigan so Spain?

Thanks. :)

I have a Poseidon Odin 1st/2nd ,7 ft Poseidon hose and a Scubapro G250 backup around my neck (attached to Poseidon 1st). Both 2nd stages breath well but I just prefer the Odin. Yes the Scubapro give you plenty of air but the Odin just feels right. If fact, I will be getting a second Odin for my pony.

How can I explain it? the Odin just feels good to breathe from. I have not encountered the flutter effect at shallow depths. Bubbles coming of the side are great. The ability to hand over to a buddy in an emergency from either side is a big plus.

Let me draw an analogy: My new at the time '83 Honda accord could accelerate equally well with my aging '73 Alfa Romeo Berlina. But the Berlina was so smooth that it give one that world class feeling.

When I breathe off that Odin, I'm not even thinking about it. When I breathe off the G250, I get plenty of air but I'm thinking about it. Maybe it just doesn't give as smooth a delivery.

Don't get me wrong. I love my G250. Next to my Odin, I think its the best regulator one can buy.

There are a few reasons why Poseidons are no longer considered to be good regs for Tech diving by some tech divers, not least of which is that the Odin is an upstream reg -- a bad thing in a low-oxygen environment.

Add to that high intermediate pressures up to 180 PSI and you have a reg that will dump the entire contents of a cylinder very quickly. There just is no reason for these high intermediate pressures. A properly tuned, quality reg will breathe very well at depth during demand.

There are other reasons I've heard, "wet" breathing when not level, which when passed off which could be a serious problem in an emergency. Not to mention very expensive maintenance and hoses and parts being proprietary. I paid $100 for a long hose some years ago! Some don't like them because you can't pop the cover on the 2nd and clean out debris if needed.

A few years back they were the reg to have for tekkies, they breathed well at depth and were generally considered to be reliable, but times change.

There are so many better, safer and overall, often less expensive regs that have become the standard for safer tech diving. I love my Beuchat VX-10 and the Apeks are said to be very good. There is a new generation of Atomic Tech regs coming out that have been redesigned. The old Atomics holes in the front of the 2nd stage were too large and contributed to free-flowing.

I've been using my Poseidons for stages, but I'll be selling my Odin and Cyklon 5000, I'll give ya'll a good price! <g>

JoeL

Odins don't freeze due to its upstream design. Additionaly, there has been no failure to date, according to US Navy, of an Odin.

They don't have to be expenisve to service. You can find techs on the web that will service them for the same price as a "normal" reg. Ask Michael Rainone.

There is no need to run an Odin or a Cyclon's IP at 180PSI.

They breathe minimally "wet" when not level. The pro side to this is that you can breathe them in any position-maybe wet, but you CAN breathe. For this reason alone, they make an excellent choice as a backup reg.

All this talk about replacing the cover on a reg. Ask Bob3 what he would use in a mucky, murky environment? Cyclon no doubt. If you want to remove the diaphram of a reg.-holding that little thing underwater, then trying to put it back in correctly-then that's fine. Here's a better idea: Bring along another Odin 2nd stage. If the first one get's dirty, don't go cleaning it. Just unscrew it and place the fresh new one on.

I own an Apeks TX50 and a Poseidon Odin. Both are great and I wouldn't say the Apeks is better or worse than the Odin-just different.

I would be interested in buying your Cyclon 5000, jjoelm.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom