Ice Rescue Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Diving

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Folks ,
Our dive team recently had the opportunity to attend ice rescue classes presented by Lifeguard Systems for both surface ice rescue and scuba ice rescue. We came away very impressed with the comprehensive programs that they offer. In both classes the emphasis was on the safety and effectiveness of the rescue teams in real-world, bad-ice conditions.
Recognizing that in many cases the ice shelf that has already put a victim in the water may be unable to support a single rescuer, let alone a team, all operations were conducted from a safe vantage with minimal personnel on the ice. Those that did venture onto the ice, or what was left of it, were in full exposure suits and tethered to fixed points on the shore. All personnel that did go onto the ice were transported on MARSAR’s sleds or had one in tow, as conditions dictated. A pulley system was rigged that allowed immediate transport of personnel or equipment to the operating area on the ice in a matter of moments. Personnel on the ice operated from a prone position to help distribute their weight, or worked in the water, as may easily be necessary under some conditions.
Our divers and tenders learned to operate under some of the worst conditions imaginable, with tenders on the ice or in the water 100ft from shore, directing their divers under the ice shelf to locate and surface in ice holes another 75ft out. At that point the diver would again submerge, and under the guidance of the tender, locate the victim and return to the tender’s hole, from which the victim was transported by sled to EMS personnel on the shore. The intensity of the training has left us confident that we will be able to adapt to almost any conceivable situation that we may face, providing maximum service to our community while assuring the safety and well being of our members.
Thanks to Butch and Andrea for putting together such incredible programs, assistant instructors Bryan and Matt for their knowledge and patience, and Ulster Hose for providing top notch facilities for the academic portion of our training. You guys do an incredible job and we look forward to the opportunity to train with you again.

Bill Pfeiffer
Nesconset FD SCUBA Rescue Team

I couldn't agree with you more Bill. I have had the opportunity to take several classes with Butch and Andrea and came away with the knowledge and confidence of learning with the best PSD organization available.

I couldn't agree with you more Bill. I have had the opportunity to take several classes with Butch and Andrea and came away with the knowledge and confidence of learning with the best PSD organization available.

One of the things that I like the most about LGS is their willingness to adapt and consider other peoples' input. They are never satisfied with their programs and are constantly working to improve their product.
Several times during classes that I have attended, LGS instructors have been asked, "why do you do it this way?" or, "why don't you do it this way?". Often, their response explains why the alternate method may not be as safe or effective, sometimes they explain that they used to do it that way and explain exactly why they no longer advocate the item in question. A couple of times, you could see the little "light bulb" go on over their heads, they just found an improvement to their already outstanding product. PSD is constantly changing and LGS seems more than willing to do the work necessary to keep up. I like that......Bill

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom