Advice on diving in SoCal in late Feb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, this suggestion that you're "easily" going to squeeze in seven dives per full day on these charters is rather ridiculous. I think six is pushing it, and five is really a practical daily maximum.

I've never seen anyone do 7 dives on any trip. You have to remember that the crew does not get paid extra for night dives and their usual day is tending to divers for 4 dives. So it's somewhat rude to ask them to perform the extra work for 3 more dives. The night dive is expected and if you go on it then you should be adding a little extra into the tip jar along with tipping for 2 days not just one.

Just because you've never done it or never seen it done, that doesn't mean it hadn't happened. I'm sorry, but there are a lot of SoCal diving that doesn't include you.

You still sore about the Raptor discussion from last year? Is that why you kept going out of your way to take pot shot at me? Let it go, dude. It was just an internet discussion.

I'm not sure what boats your going on but I've never been on one thats run out of snacks/food.

Billy

The smiley tends to denote a comment made in jest. Surely somebody with as much internet forum experience as you are would know the basic meanings behind the more mundane emoticons. Like this one :shakehead:

Yeah, this suggestion that you're "easily" going to squeeze in seven dives per full day on these charters is rather ridiculous. I think six is pushing it, and five is really a practical daily maximum.

On multi-days trips, the Peace doesn't seem to have a problem with letting divers do 6 or 7 dives. Of course that's why the Peace is the superior boat and it tends to charge more for charter fee AND their tip jars tend to be overflowing by the end of the trip.

I've been on the Peace, numerous times. These trips are usually four day dives and a single night dive (5 max / day). I don't tend to do shorter dives like you, however, so that might be the difference.

You guys need to start thinking outside of the box. It's very easy to get in a huge number of dives if all you're interested in quantity. Just make your dives last only about 10-20 minutes and only go down to about 25 ft. I bet I could easily get 10 dives in a day that way. LOL.

More seriously, though, I think that socal boats generally are willing to give 3-4 dives in a day with up to 60 minute run time per dive. I usually like to be the first one off the boat when the gates open and the second to last person back on the boat. This seems to maximize run time for me. I hate to be the last person back on the boat because I think that it's inconsiderate to hold everyone else up on the boat.

I'm a huge fan of the Peace as well. I love the crew, and it'll always have a special place for me as it was my first time on a dive boat in California. They were absolutely great when I was just learning how to dive. I always felt like the crew really looked out for me then. I've also seen them handle tough situations extremely professionally and even made my non-diving father enjoy the trip when he came along just for a ride. Other boats I've had a great experience on were the Sundiver and the Spectre. For more advanced dives, I also love the Seabass.

Just because you've never done it or never seen it done, that doesn't mean it hadn't happened. I'm sorry, but there are a lot of SoCal diving that doesn't include you.

You still sore about the Raptor discussion from last year? Is that why you kept going out of your way to take pot shot at me? Let it go, dude. It was just an internet discussion.

Sorry to burst your bubble Skippy but you posted something ridiculous and I responded. When did I say it's never been done? Thank you for pointing out that I'm not at every single dive that every single diver has ever gone on or will go on. My quest for knowledge has now come to an end. :rofl3:

The smiley tends to denote a comment made in jest. Surely somebody with as much internet forum experience as you are would know the basic meanings behind the more mundane emoticons. Like this one :shakehead:

Just so I understand, when someone puts a smiley at the end of their post it is supposed to be received as the entire post is sarcastic?

Billy

Sorry to burst your bubble Skippy but you posted something ridiculous and I responded. When did I say it's never been done? Thank you for pointing out that I'm not at every single dive that every single diver has ever gone on or will go on. My quest for knowledge has now come to an end. :rofl3:

When I posted something ridiculous? Once again, let me say it verrrryyyyy slowllllly. Just because YOU haven't done it, or have seen it been done, it doesn't mean that it hadn't been done.

If you ever were to have taken a multi-day trip on the Peace boat with the dive shop called Ocean Adventures in Santa Monica/Venice, then you would know that those people are a hardy bunch of divers. 6-dives on the first day, 4-dives on the second day was a matter of course.

Just so I understand, when someone puts a smiley at the end of their post it is supposed to be received as the entire post is sarcastic?

Billy
:D:wink::shakehead::eyebrow::)

You guys need to start thinking outside of the box. It's very easy to get in a huge number of dives if all you're interested in quantity. Just make your dives last only about 10-20 minutes and only go down to about 25 ft. I bet I could easily get 10 dives in a day that way. LOL. .

Or you can bring a rebreather unit, don one of them fancy dandy drysuit with the fancy dandy wild weasel underwear then do a five-hours dive and proclaim that you're one bad mofo who only does one long dive a day.:cool2:

When I posted something ridiculous? Once again, let me say it verrrryyyyy slowllllly. Just because YOU haven't done it, or have seen it been done, it doesn't mean that it hadn't been done.

If you ever were to have taken a multi-day trip on the Peace boat with the dive shop called Ocean Adventures in Santa Monica/Venice, then you would know that those people are a hardy bunch of divers. 6-dives on the first day, 4-dives on the second day was a matter of course.

:D:wink::shakehead::eyebrow::)

It doesn't mater how "slowly" you "say" something or how many extra consonants you type, telling the OP that you can easily do 6-7 dives in one day is ridiculous. Again, I never said it hasn't been done, I said it's not normal for pretty much anyone. Obviously you're not a normal diver. "Go deep or go home" right? Almost everyone that's posted after you also disagrees that 6-7 dives is not what the average diver will do. There's isn't enough time for anyone to do 7 full length normal dives safely in one day. A normal dive being 45-60min duration and average depth around 50fsw. Usually when you're on a multi-day trip (especially to the outer islands) your dives are deeper. Regardless the OP hasn't followed up and has probably forgotten about this thread. But I'm sure that won't stop you from giving more useless advice.

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom