Panacar Reef and Meso American Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inked59

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going on a cruise in March and have the opportunity to dive these two reefs but I know nothing about either one. Anyone have any info they would like to share? Thanks in advance!

:grinbandit:

the Meso American Barrier Reef is the one that runs from Mexico to Honduras (second largest barrier reef in the world) so that doesn't narrow it down very much. Perhaps list your cruise ship stops and people could be of more help.

Thanks Damselfish! The stop for the Panacar Reef is in Cozumel and the stop for the Meso American Barrier Reef is in Costa Maya. I've tried to google the reefs but I'm not coming up with much information...

inked59,
either go to the cozumel forum here on this board or google cozumel dive operators.
you will find tons of good info for your trip

The reef in Cozumel that you speak of, I believe is spelled, Palancar Reef, and yes you will find info on it. I dove on it in 1998 right after I got certified. It was a wall dive with all sorts of swim throughs and overhangs. Might have been one of the best wall dive's I've ever done. Never dove the Meso American Barrier Reef but I don't doubt that it rocks. Have fun on your trip!

If you can't find anything using Costa Maya, try searching Mahahual and Xcalak. Mahahual is where your ship will stop. Xcalak is 20 miles down the coast. Both share the same reef. The reef is the same as Ambergris Caye, Belize.

The Meso American Barrier Reef like previously stated ruins from around Cozumel, MX to south of Honduras. The reef starts out in the cozumel area more disorganized and the further south you go the more organized it becomes. I have dove this reef many times in Mahahual (where the Costa Maya Pier is). Here you will find a very pristine reef.

Where I dove there was three rows of reef parrell to the shore and further south row after row perpindicular to the shore. If you go with the right dive operation your dive boat will be the only one on the dive site with only a small group of divers.

Look at the new issue of Sport Diver Magazine. There is an article in it on diving in Mahahual (Costa Maya). This article confirms what I found to be true Very pristine reefs and virgin diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom