Newbie specific questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gatorshark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to thank all in advance for their patience in answering some questions!

I grew up in Florida snorkeling and spearing using a cheap snorkel set and Hawaiian sling. (I understand IDing species and adjusting for size distortion underwater)

I then got into recreational SCUBA for years, sans any underwater hunting. I have recently relocated to the Pacific where spearfishing opps are abundant. The locals spear a lot and are more than willing to show me the local specifics, but I need gear. The language barrier and cost here makes me want to buy my gear stateside and ship it.

Questions:

The few sites I have visited make it appear that a lot of spearfishing specific gear is more expensive than similar SCUBA gear, why is this?

I see many photos and websites promoting the cool looking camo dive skins that are also VERY expensive. I usually dive with a shorty or 3mm full suit, can I just use these? What if any, are the advantages of these diveskins?

Fins. What are good value spearfishing fin recommendations?

Thanks

As for fins, check out the Cressi Gara 3000's. They are around $100-$120ish.

A wetsuit for freediving or spearfishing tends to use better neoprenes than a SCUBA suit will do, they tend to be cut to all for more range of motion, they tend to be designed to keep water infiltration down to an absolute minimal. All this adds to more $$$$'s.

A good low profile, low volume mask makes a big difference. Fit is key. I've tried a few and I still can't find one that fits my face well.

Camo suits are beneficial when freediving, it seems that fish will come in closer. I found no real benefit when on scuba. I do suggest a dark full suit. A buddy of mine settled down on some urchins in a shorty when reloading. Was not a pleasant experience, and a full suit would save him some pain.
Main reason the Camo suits are so expensive compared to a similar plain suit, is the Camo print. There is very little demand for a Camo vs a plain in Water sports, and thus production costs per unit are much higher.
Guns also range from $60-$70 for a lower end production gun to a well over $1000 for a quality hand crafted work of art.
underwater hunting is a small drop in the bucket of water sports so expect to pay more for specialized equipment.

Last edited:
One thing I have learned about spearfishing over the years is that there are lots of opinions about what is best. The biggest problem that most people have when asking for advice is that gear and technique can be very specialized from one location to another and therfore what works in some places quite well may be flat wrong in another area (or targeting other fish species in the same area). The more specific you can be with your questions the better your advice will be in return. I tend to believe watching the locals is the best way to go.... sorry if that doesn't help much!

Thanks for the help! I want to order the Cressi fins but I wear a 9.5 shoe and the sizes are either 8-9 or 10-11. Should I go for the slighly bigger or smaller size? Thanks in advance.

Be sure to buy foot pocket fins if for freediving with neoprene socks . Strap fins are for scuba.

I dive mares fins, size 10.5 to 11 feet, 8-9 fins, no socks.
A basic rule of thumb on full foot fins, if you can get them on your bare feet dry, they are too big.

The fin then becomes the sock, and locks into the bone structure of the feet to eliminate movement between the fin and the foot. Movement = bad = blisters , especially if the plan is to spend a half day or more wet.

Socks are used to ease doff and don and to provide something else, other than your skin, to wear away due to the relative movement of the sloppy fins.

Back
Top Bottom