Best Military Dive locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heading to Guam 12-19 Dec, and I want to do some wreck diving, anyone have any recommendations for an old military diver.

A friend of mine that is active duty Navy used to be stationed in Newport, RI and is now stationed in Guam. He has since become a PADI instructor and is both teaching and doing alot of local dives in addition to his Navy responsibilities. If you send me a PM then I will provide his name and email address.

Gitmo back in the 70s - Virgin Reef - I say when (and if) they close Camp Delta the military open a dive Resort there.

I'm not in military but worked on a federal task force and was at GTMO for about a month about 6-7 years ago. There is still diving going on there and IMHO it's the best I've ever done. I saw a map of all the dive sites that were all around the base but since Camp Delta no one can go outside the bay to get to them. You can only do a few shore dives, but they are still great. :D

I have to say that Torii Dive Locker is the best dive shop I've ever been too. Those guys are amazing and know their stuff. They will also hook you up with some deals if you just ask.

Thank you so much for the info. I've been trying to get more pictures of the ship. I'm getting out of the Navy in a year and wanted to go back to Okinawa and dive the Emmons one last time. You just don't see everything your first dive because you are in aw of the wreck. I enjoyed the photos every much. Would you happen to know if the ship's bell was ever recovered? Chuck said something about trying to find and lift it to donate to the Emmons Society. If it hasn't been sone, I want to plan and expo to the site to find and lift it.

Guam and Saipan (if you can find a reason to get there). 84 degrees at 130 fsw; 150 viz; no crowds; and cheap rental places.
Hawaii is a close second. Use the MWR at Schofield, as they have the cheapest dive rental prices I have ever seen, and it's all brand new top of the line gear.

San Diego for Lobster, and easy access for Charters to the Channel Islands.

Forgive me if it is already mentioned but I had a great experience diving with Coastal Scuba in North Myrtle Beach, SC. They were simply awesome. I don't have enough good things to say about them.

hawaii,
if your military and have your own gear (minus tanks) i'll take ya...eather shore dive or from my boat...since we all sware the same oath,,,and do the sometimes thankless job...we always take care of our own..if your in pearl, look me up
grandizer52@yahoo.com
808-387-0303

Guam and Saipan (if you can find a reason to get there). 84 degrees at 130 fsw; 150 viz; no crowds; and cheap rental places.
Hawaii is a close second. Use the MWR at Schofield, as they have the cheapest dive rental prices I have ever seen, and it's all brand new top of the line gear.

Guam and Saipan, definately some of the best space A...and the BEQ...smooth

I just got back from 2 weeks in Saipan, and Guam it was awesome!

I have to agree, Saipan has some of the best diving there is. I was stationed in Okinawa for a couple years, and loved the waters there, but the diving in Saipan is just amazing. As far as a specific dive site, the Grotto was my favorite. If you want to see some sea turtles, though, I would suggest Lau Lau Bay. Also, if you are looking for a down-to-earth dive guide/instructor that knows all of Saipan's dive sites like the back of his hand, AND gives a decent military discount, I highly recommend getting in touch with Harry at www(dot)axemurderertours(dot)com. He seriously knows his stuff. You won't get the typical dive tour with him, and he will probably even show you a bit of the island.

Happy Diving!

P.S. - Sorry about the URL link...apparently you have to post 5 or more entries before being allowed to post a link...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom