Spare Air: some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, I'm having fun and learning TONs fact checking the arguments...So far the only valid argument against SA is that stupid people will think it makes them bullet proof and stop paying attention to gas management. Not much of an argument, really.

But that's a good thing, right? :)

Is this thread really still going?

Is this thread really still going?

I can't believe it either-it keeps popping up on the front page, I'm thinking someone's computer is 'stuck' on it.....

... I will fail a person in open-water if they are beyond touching distance from their buddy unless instructed otherwise (CESA). I'm a strong supporter of the buddy system and team diving in most circumstances.

What I'm suggesting here is:

1. Always dive with a Buddy;
2. Always stay together;
3. Practice OOA drills as a donor and receiver via octopus and buddy breathing; and
4. If you so choose, carry a secondary air-source whether it be a Spare Air or a Pony Bottle. Understand this is for emergency use only! Practice with it, be comfortable.
5. Dive within your depth envelope and gain experience.

Bravo.
When Larry Williamson of Submersible Systems told me his story, the words "What I wouldn't give for just one more breath of air!" resounded in my mind. I have been in this situation underwater on more than one occasion and have felt as he did. For someone to argue that an additional breath is insufficient, tells me that that person hasn't been in this situation. They have no credibility in my view.
My point is not that one never might need additional air, just that if one is in a situation where the likelihood of needing additional air is high enough to warrant bringing a fully redundant supply along, a Spare Air is, IMHO, an inadequate choice.
Spare Air like most pieces of diving equipment I've used, has a limited operational envelope. For the sake of repeating myself, "You use the right tool for the job." If I'm flying away on vacation to do some recreational diving, I take a Spare Air with me. It will give me enough air to get to the surface within the diving envelope I'm diving. A couple of extra breaths is a luxury in an emergency and it's all I'll need in most situations.
I just don't see that, if all I need is, "a couple of extra breaths," I can breathold my way through that, with some discomfort, but without dying. It's kinda like pour kitchen. We have 10 ft. ceilings with cabinets to the top, a step stool doesn't get me into the upper cabinets and I can already reach all the others ... what I need is a step ladder ... or nothing at all.
Not saying SpareAir doesn't serve a purpose in some "limited operational envelope" as mentioned above, nor that you don't need to stay near your buddy, but I think if most people spent as much time and effort focused on thinking/planning/gearing/practicing how to AVOID the problem in the first place as they do focusing on what to do after it's too late...they'd be far better off.

:shocked2:

See ya round; gotta go buy a padded suit and practice jumping out of a moving car so I'll be prepared when my brakes fail.

:eyebrow:
Exactly.

I'm working on development of the ultimate redundancy:

The Spare Rebreather®

"It only provides one more breath...but you can keep taking it over and over and over again."
I need two! Will you take a P.O. from the Department of Redundant Redundancy?
The following applies to the beginner and the professional diver. Training may mitigate a situation, but it doesn't always out trump it.

Show me a diver who thinks that they can control everything that will happen to them underwater and I will show you an accident waiting to happen.

I wont ask you to show me a person who needs a breath of air and doesn't want one, because that isn't going to happen. If that time comes and that breath isn't available, all the posing in the world will be insufficient.

Some have the foresight to prepare for such an eventuality, others do not. It's a personal choice.
I see it as far more dangerous to be loading myself down, on every dive, with an item that has a limited operational envelope as to be either unnecessary or inadequate 95% of the time. I prefer to draw a line well south of that 5% situation(s) and add a truely effective redundent system, like a 40 scf pony or better, I don't believe in accidentally having something that might (or might not) serve.

I can't believe it either-it keeps popping up on the front page, I'm thinking someone's computer is 'stuck' on it.....

Well, yeah sort of stuck on it.

I made a keyboard shortcut to it.

8xsh9s.jpg

Sorry, there's just no reason to run out of air except equipment malfunction. In that case, you need a buddy or a pony.

Good diving, Craig

Sorry, there's just no reason to run out of air except equipment malfunction.

Good diving, Craig

No reason?

I can think of a few reasons a diver will run out of air

- S/He misjudges the current or the current changes mid dive
- Entanglement
- Gets Narced and takes an hour to photograph a Sea Anemone
- Hiding from Great White Shark
- Another diver has an emergency and assisting that diver takes extra time
- Severe cramps or other medical situation arises
- The boat sinks and they have to swim back to shore and they didn't bring snorkels and the surf is up and swimming on their backs is problematic

These are just off the top of my head

Back
Top Bottom