dive operators in Hopkins, Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjd

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy Folks,

Any recommendations on the dive operators in Hopkins, Belize?

If anyone was in Hopkins recently, I would love to hear about your experience as well.

Thanks! :D

The only one I know of is the in-house operation at Hamanasi, which has a high reputation.

But if you stay at Hopkins you have to take a 45 min boat ride every day to the reef.... Think about staying on one of the cayes closer to the reef and save yourself the daily commute.

The only one I know of is the in-house operation at Hamanasi, which has a high reputation.

Thanks, peterbj7. I will look them up.

Have you dived with them? I wonder how their operations are.

But if you stay at Hopkins you have to take a 45 min boat ride every day to the reef.... Think about staying on one of the cayes closer to the reef and save yourself the daily commute.

You certainly have a point there, underseasian.

Thanks, diversteve. I will look them up as well.

Are you planning on heading down there soon?
Not this year. We were going to that area for whaleshark diving in May when Explorer offered a $500 discount on Turks/Caicos Explorer II. So we're doing that instead this year.

We had already discounted Hamanasi as being too far from Gladden and a little too pricey for what we wanted. IIRC they only do 10 dives/wk typically - that wouldn't have worked for us either. Add in $240 R/T air to Dangriga and we decided to move down to the Placencia area instead.

If you're interested, check out some of the package deals from Splash Dive Shop or Seahorse Dive Shop in Placencia. They even bundle local air from BZE.

I've read some good things about Laru Beya resort also. We were also considering Isla Marisol resort as they offer 15-17 dives and I read somewhere that they go to Gladden later in the afternoon as it's the optimum time for the Cubera spawning which the sharks are feeding on. I never did determine if their w/s trip was in lieu of your regular dives for that day or in addition to. It's also $175/trip.

Last edited:
Not this year. We were going to that area for whaleshark diving in May when Explorer offered a $500 discount on Turks/Caicos Explorer II. So we're doing that instead this year.

We had already discounted Hamanasi as being too far from Gladden and a little too pricey for what we wanted. IIRC they only do 10 dives/wk typically - that wouldn't have worked for us either. Add in $240 R/T air to Dangriga and we decided to move down to the Placencia area instead.

If you're interested, check out some of the package deals from Splash Dive Shop or Seahorse Dive Shop in Placencia. They even bundle local air from BZE.

I've read some good things about Laru Beya resort also. We were also considering Isla Marisol resort as they offer 15-17 dives and I read somewhere that they go to Gladden later in the afternoon as it's the optimum time for the Cubera spawning which the sharks are feeding on. I never did determine if there w/s trip was in lieu of your regular dives for that day or in addition to. It's also $175/trip.

diversteve,

Yeah, the distance factor is certain there. And, also, as you pointed out, they are pretty pricey. It seems that the dives cost much more than other parts of Belize.
I will check out the dive shops you mentioned in Placencia. Thanks!

Don't forget Thatch Caye, a private island just off Dangriga. Close to the reef and superb diving in Southwater Caye Marine Reserve, and convenient for Gladden Spit and whale shark viewing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom