Who is responsible for a minor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using SB as a way to justify circumventing your parent's wishes is not a good plan.

As a parent I got to say, follow the rules or move out and pay your own way. Then go diving.

Is going diving, worth losing any or all the trust your parents have in you?

I am a Father of four, including one very stubborn teenager (takes after his Mom). He and I often struggle over similar issues of freedom and trust (no, he is not a Diver yet). Although we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things he doesn't disrespect my wishes and in turn I try to cut him some slack now & then. That's building trust, building healthy relationships.I am proud of my son as I'm confident your parents are of you.In time they will come around- be patient. You are Seventeen, you have plenty of time to fill that logbook. Respect their wishes, I doubt you'll ever regret it like you may if you go diving. I think back to when I was a teenager and dealing with my parents. There are moments that i'd wished I'd taken their counsel more seriously.
Diving can be an 'Escape' but your Family is your 'Beacon'.

First, as a parent of 4, I have to say you should be very thankful that you have parents willing to trust you on your own while they are out of the country.

During my children's spring break, my wife and I are going to Saba. While we are gone, Grandma will be staying over and watching the house. And grandma is a heck of a lot stricter than we are (something to do with the real pita kid I was . . .).

You need to realize what a huge vote of trust this decision represents. You've obviously done quite well to get such freedom at your age. Now, that said, you have a responsibility to yourself and your parents to maintain that level of trust by demonstrating your maturity. That means you honor their decision.

Further, I don't know about in Canada, but in the USA, you simply would not have the legal authority to buy time on a charter without your parents permission. If it is the same up there, then what you want here is something of a non-starter. If they won't buy you the boat ride, you won't be going.

Show them that your trust in you is not misplaced, earn even more respect by being mature beyond your years. Not only respect their wishes, but go beyond what is expressed to act in a way you know they will be proud of while they are gone. It will pay off in the long run.

I know that you feel that you will be safe diving in the absence of your parents. The issue isn't really one of your safety, it is an issue of your parents' peace of mind while they are away. My advice: you are 17 - man up. Being an adult is about taking **** and dealing with it. Tell your parents that if you were to go diving you would be safe, but you understand that they would be worried, so you chose to make them happy by not diving in their absence. Perhaps suggest that they might want to contribute to a pizza fund as a concession.

In Canada I believe that, at 16, you can declare yourself an emancipated minor and move out of the house, conferring upon yourself the status of maturity before you hit the age of majority. However, you would still be a minor living away from home. You don't want to do that for many, many reasons.

FYI, re-posted from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/296690-skydiving-scuba-safer-4.html

Taken from an alertdiver.com summary of a study conducted by Dr. Petar J. Denoble, Neal W. Pollock, Panchabi Vaithiyanathan, Dr. James. L. Caruso, Dr. Richard Vann and Joel A. Dovenbarger, R.N., published in the medical journal Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine in December 2008:

1. Comparisons with other sports are problematic since the measures of exposure (e.g., the number of dives, hours of jogging, etc.) are not always available. For example, the annual rate of 16 fatalities while diving per 100,000 divers is comparable to the 13 deaths while jogging (per 100,000 joggers). However, a jogger may run several times a week, but a diver might only dive two to three weeks a year;
2. Fatality rates for scuba diving and driving a car are nearly identical when calculated per number of participants. However, the vast majority of us will spend much more time in traffic situations than in diving; and
3. The rate of injury among divers is much lower than the rate of injury amongst most other sports. However, the likelihood that a diving injury will result in death is much higher than for most other sports.

As a parent of a teenage son & pre-teen daughter I can understand your parents concerns. They, like most parents, worry about your well being far more that you will ever know, no matter how misguided this worry may be it is well intended.

Despite my advancing years I can also remember how frustrating it was, as a teenager, not to have the unfettered freedom of an adult. (it isn't all its cracked up to be - there's a price attached to being an adult)

Best suggestion - discuss it calmly and rationally with them (based on your post you seem pretty mature & level headed) and try to persuade them that they have less to worry about with you diving than driving or crossing the street. Ultimately, however, respect their wishes. Family relationships are more important.

I hear the diving in BC is magnificent, I attended university in Victoria but that was long before I started diving.

I would agree with Trace on this one, and earn the kudos points by taking it on the chin and doing what is being asked of you.

FWIW, 16-18 is just a tough time for everyone, neither parents or children quite know whether you're still a kid - or an adult.

If I was in your parents shoes (and will be in about 17.5 years!), I'd need some assurances to even think about it. First up would be trusting you - your parents obviously do, else they wouldn't leave you alone in the first place. Second would be trusting the people you are going with - if you have a regular dive charter that has professional guides, that you use often... then you may be able to suggest that you go with them. Heading down to the beach with your friends isn't going to work for you.

If they are only away a short while, it won't kill you to not go diving. But start planning ahead for next time, start suggesting that you want to go with a particular charter company, cultivate a relationship between you, your folks and the charter company so that next time you can say "Hey, I'd like to go diving - but I promise I'll only go with XYZ".

As a fellow Canuck, I would say all you need is that magic health card (I'm sure you guys in BC have one like the rest of us) in order to get treatment. Perhaps where the problem may occur is if it involves something serious like whether to risk an operation or not. Something like that most likely requires some parental consent. I wouldn't guess what your local dive op/agency would require regarding consent/forms, etc.

Hi
Both myself and my husband introduced our children to diving at a young age and it's something we all enjoy however I just want to share a true and tragic incident with you that took place on: our 1st dive on our 1st days safari on GBR....

Myself and my husband were 1st in the water and off we went on the dive had a great 1st dive. When we surfaced the rib was there to pick us up....odd but hay easy return to safari boat.

As we got closer to boat it was plain to see someone was obviously doing their rescue diver course and busy going through the skills....not so. We were told to go straight inside where we were met with the rest of the divers all looking shaken up and some having a stiff drink....

One of the divers got into trouble 12 minutes into the dive at 9m; his buddy got him to the surface and raised the alarm and the rib whet and picked them up, by now other divers aware something wasn't right also surfaced. 3 of the divers were doctors and when to assist but sadly there was nothing they could do and tragically the diver died. We had medics come in on a helicopter and a boat full of shocked guests/crew.

The following day the poor mans son and to fly out to deal with this tragic event; now as a parent/daughter/wife no one wants to ever have to deal with such tragedy but this actually took place on our holiday.

Just take a moment to think about things and know these incidents do actually occur. The last thing you'll think about at your age are incidents as I've typed about but one day you may be in the exact same position as your parents and what would do think/advise and what would be your concerns?

Let your parents have a 'worry free holiday' but most of all don't break the trust they have in you - trust is a powerful thing and once it's been broken you'll never fully get it back.

Take Care
Kasha

My daughter was going on charters without me at 15. She had been diving since age ten and demonstrated to me that she was a safe diver. This did not prevent me from worrying, nor having her call me after her dives to ensure she was OK.

If your parents are not divers that may have entirely understandable reservations.

Rather than attempting to convince them of anything, which may be adversarial, have you discussed their rationale for not wanting you to do any charters while gone?

It will not harm you to stay home, and graciously acceding to your parent's wishes may yield fruits in the future...

Just wait! I was in your shoes once a long time ago. My dad forgot more about diving than I knew when I was 17. He was a ww2 frogman. Your parents are only looking out for you! Make your parents proud and wait....when they get back have all your plans written out and they will know you are taking this sport in the manner it should be. You don't plan a dive for the what if can happen , but the what can happen!
See You topside John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom