Anyone dove with whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most amazing (and completely unexpected) encounter with a whale shark happened June last year along the east cost of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), at the end of a "peak performance boyancy" dive with students.

we unexpectedly saw a lovely whale shark at around 5m

YouTube - Whale Shark Martini Rock - 6 June 2009

I snorkled with them may june sharm egypt it was cool big or what just off the hyatt regency hotel dive site the gardens

Hi
Been going to the Maldives for the last 10yrs and for the last 3 yrs we've been lucky enough to have dives/snorkled with them:
2007 - mantas and whale shark
2008 - 1st days diving we had Mantas during 60min dive and then went to lagoon where we had not 1, not 2, not 3 but 5 whale sharks for 2 1/2 hours.....awsome; mind blowing
2009 - 70 minute dive with aprox 50 mantas and an 8m whale shark....once again totally mind blowing

These last 3 trips were with Maldive Scuba Tours; they have over 15yrs experience in the Maldives are really do know their stuff.

The dive site was Hani Faru; if you do a search you will see it's now a protected area; and with good reason.

Happy diving
Kasha

I will in August for the first time in Cozumel. Can't wait. One creature at the top of my list to see in nature.

Has anyone ever dove with whale sharks? Where did you do it? What is the best location to find them and is it pretty rare to site them?

I had a great encounter with one diving on the Oriskany this past July. I was diving with Gary's Gulfdivers, he has the pics I took posted somewhere.

We met up with it at the stern at about 100' deep, and it stayed with us back to the conning tower, where it veered off and left when the 50 million people hanging around that spot saw it and rushed it. Cool for a bit...

I was fortunate enough to see a couple of whales sharks in Belize last year. Go late fall/early summer, as they head there to feed on the spawn of dog snappers. You have to time it right with the full moon, but it's breath taking to see them.

Attachments

• n510617167_504187_4060.jpg
    n510617167_504187_4060.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 64
the Yucatan during the summer is a great place to see whale sharks. Scuba 10, the dive shop I work at, runs whale shark snorkeling tours out of Playa del Carmen. It is an all day trip (6am-6pm), but it is definately worth it. It costs 185USD which includes breakfast, transportation, snorkeling with the whale sharks, snorkeling in a coral reef, and lunch. The tour only runs from June to September, as that is the best time to see the whale sharks. It is a thrilling up close and personal experience, but we also make sure to keep the whale sharks safe from us. if you think you might want to check it out or if you have any questions about the tour, just send us a message and we'd be happy to answer! :goingdown:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom