heart surgery question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okc_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a friend who wants to get into diving and had open heart surgery over 20 years ago. I believe it was the tri-cuspid valve that was replaced. It's been over 20 years since she had the surgery (she was 15 at the time). She is active rides mountain bikes, rappelling /rock climbing, kayaking, paintball & airsoft, has snorkeled before, works in a warehouse. She has seen some of the photos that I have took from some of my past trips and wants to experience it first-hand.

Would she have to get a medical clearance to dive after she had been cleared by her dr. years ago. Can someone dive who has had heart surgery in the past? Other than the previous surgery she has no other problems.

I have told her to ask her doctor but I don't know if she has yet (she lives a few hours away from me)

It is certainly possible to dive after heart surgery. In this case, I think a physician would need a bit more information. Was the valve repaired or replaced? If the latter, is the patient's anticoagulation stable? What is her ventricular function (sounds like it must be good, given what you list that she does)?

You might consider PMing debersole, who is a diving cardiologist, and running the situation by him. But I think he would want the information I detailed in the first paragraph.

I believed it was repaired and she is not on any long term meds. After she was released she was put on asprin but thats about it and I will PM debersole tomorrow.

First, let me say that everyones is different. I know, that is really profound - duh. Anyway, in my case, I had the aeortic valve replaced with an artificial one and returned to diving 6 months later. It could have been earlier, but it did not fit my schedule. It would CERTAINLY be advisable to check with a cardiologist, especially one with dive experience, prior to starting ANY new activity.

Even though she is not on a blood thinner, I would presume that she is still going to a cardiologist regularly. In my VERY limited experience, only mine, I find it a bit odd that she is not on a blood thinner.

The MOST important thing to remember is to not take ANY advice you get from a web site as gospel. Go to a medical professional.

OK, I will get off of my soap bax now. Best wishes.

Need a medical clearance to dive.She may be fine,but will absolutely need a doctor to declare she is fit to dive.No exceptions.

If the valve was repaired, the patient would not require anticoagulation. Valve replacements come in two types -- mechanical, which require lifelong anticoagulation, and porcine, where anticoagulation may not be needed.

Okc diver:

She definitely should have a medical clearance before beginning scuba diving, preferably from a cardiologist with some knowledge of diving. She can get a referal to a local cardiologist with these credentials from DAN.

PM me with contact info for you. I'll gladly discuss the case with you. It would be important to know what her underlying condition was that required a valve operation at age 15 (congenital heart disease?, endocarditis?, etc), which valve was involved, if it was repaired or replaced, if replaced -- mechanical or bioprosthetic, her current level of heart muscle function, and if there is any residual congenital heart defects.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom