Princess Cays Island scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a Princess Cruise. I dove in Grand Cayman (two tank) and Cozumel (three tank), but passed on Princess Cay because it was such a ripoff. I later heard from two of my dive buddies that the diving was only so-so and not really worth the dough.

Princess Cay was overall a let down-- It is one of the bigger reasons why I am checking out Royal Caribbean for my next cruise. What bugged me the most is we had to be back by 3pm and everything was shut down food/drink-wise at 1:30pm-- it basically feels more like Princess Monopoly Cay.

Ocean Fox divers is the dive operator for Princess at Princess Cays.
As far as being back by 3 PM - I guess that time is dependent on your itinerary, especially if PC is not your last stop before retuning to Florida.

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait to get out of this snow here in Colorado. This is why we always take our vacations in the winter.

Everyone here has been very helpful, and we wish to thank all of you. Blue water, here we come!!!!

My son and I went diving in Princess Cays in late December. Here are my thoughts:

1. It was COLD! Too cold for my son and I both, and he rarely gets cold. We were wearing shorties but both had toes go numb because it was so cold.

2. The dive boat was small, crowded, and we had to drop off and pick up the people from the deep sea fishing excursion on the way to and from the dive site.

3. The boat ride was about 25 minutes along the shoreline to the dive site to the "hole" which was salt water and fresh water mixing according to the divemaster. The hole itself was too deep to see the bottom, and maybe 6 feet wide.

4. We did not see many fish larger than a foot long - mostly smaller fish and coral and seaweed.

5. There was "miscommunication" according to the divemaster regarding the BCD and wetsuit and tank sizes onboard. My 12-year-old son and I both had all three items mentioned above too big for us because they did not have any tanks but full size, and I think only 2 small BCDs, no extra-smalls, and the shorties were loose fitting in the legs so they didn't help as much as good fitting ones. In their defense, it was the 2nd day of the cruise, but we did fill out our required paperwork by dinner with this information and you would think they would have smaller sizes anyway.

6. There was one divemaster only who dove with our group of 9.

7. It was about 40 minutes of diving.

8. The internet said it was $160, but for whatever reason we were charged $110. Still a lot for a single tank dive.

Conclusion: I would not recommend this dive. There are so many better, more reasonable dives.

Well, I couldn't agree more. A year ago February, my wife and I dove at Princess Cays. For the first time diving in the open water was very nice, even though it wasn't the best diving spot. This is what you get for a small operation that has only one small boat and shallow diving. Of course, after diving at Grand Turk, this diving site was nothing to boast about.

We will not be diving at this site in the future, that's for sure.

Just wondering whether anyone has a more recent experience to share ...

Back
Top Bottom