Santa Clause Came to Fantasy Island!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice boat.

Have not been to FI in a decade. Do they still have the the "Li'l Kashi"?

It had a certain charm.

She has a definite charm :kiss2: She is my favorite, and yes...she is still operating. Pedro is her captain and he does a great job of taking care of her. I don't think they'll get rid of the old boats...they'll just have more options :D

Yes Pedro still puts to sea in it every day.
Shouldn't you be on your afternoon dive now...?

Anyway, thanks for the pic and news. :D

The first new boat as pictured here, has twin cummins engines, however, according to the builder i spoke to yesterday, the other two slated for delivery are single engine models. The idea behind the big boat (Mallorca) is for long haul day trips.

I have been to FIBR at least a dozen or so times. I would have to go through my log to see how many. The latest was last October. The boats have ALWAYS been the big drawback to the resort. The room are good, the food is good, the staff is great, but the boats -- not so much. The DMs and the captains, as well as the shore staff, do a good job of trying to hold them together, but it is past time to get some new ones. I look forward to going back there again. I have also stayed at numerous other Dive Ops/Resorts on the island, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for FIBR.

Joe

Are any of them operational, yet?

Are the new boats eaiser to board for us old folks?

Wish I could be full of words of encouragement, but frankly I have some serious doubts. Beautiful looking, but definitely "Island" construction. Bow has a tremendous amount of freeboard for the size of the boat, and just looking at the stern, the dive platform seems to be quite high out of the water and could create a problem for us "older" divers....don't know why they put the rear swim platform up so high

I like the old boats, well - the nicer ones. Just so different from everyone else's, but roomy, comfy, fast enough for the nearby reefs, etc. All most of them need is some fiberglass works and paint.

Now they could use a better hot water system for the rooms, and better food - but all that is price driven. Everyone wants cheap deals. You get a lot more than you pay for at FI. :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom