How much do you tip your cozumel dive master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with dive ops in Cozumel is that they spoil you, which I never fully appreciated until diving in other parts of the Carribean. My husband and I tip a total of $25 for a day of two tank dives when in Cozumel. In other locations where we have 18 + divers on a boat, you change your own tanks, and schlep all of your gear off the boat after each day $20 for both our two tank dives is my standard tip. Everyone has opinions on this topic. In my experience, Cozumel dive ops work incredibly hard and provide amazing service.

Pretty well said. They do spoil you in Cozumel in a lot of ways. To me, it's well worth a few bucks more for the great service they provide. And with the economy there so bad this past year I don't think it's asking too much to help keep them afloat till things normalize. Give as good as you get.

This year I will tip in pesos instead of dollars because I read somewhere that citizens will now be taxed on their tips. With pesos it should be easier for them to hide the tips?

I'm sorry - but your logic here is completely lost on me. Whether you tip in dollars or pesos makes no difference as far as income - cash is cash - so I don't understand your thinking that by tipping them in local currency vs. foreign currency makes it easier for them to "hide" their tips.

As far as taxation - not sure where you read that or what exactly you read - but nothing has really changed. TECHNICALLY, by law (anywhere) tips are taxable income - always have been - as are commissions, etc. Here in Mexico - anything deposited into a bank account is considered income whether an individual or a business.

With that said, if a DM deposits his cash tips (whether USD or pesos), then he has to report that as income or have proof that it is not. If he does not deposit his cash tips, then he most likely is not declaring that income. If an individual is trying to buy anything on credit or obtain a credit card, etc. the lender looks at their income, just as they would in the states - so it would be in their best interst to have a bank account that shows regular activity.

A lot of locals still live on a cash basis and many don't even have bank accounts other than the "nomina account" that the employer may have set up for direct deposits for base salaries. They can withdraw from this type of account, but they do not make deposits into this type of account.

One remonder to everyone - the exchange rate is not 10:1 - hasn't been for about 3 years - but many people still pretend that it is. So if you're giving the crew $100 pesos - that's the equivalent of $8 USD right now.

scubafree:
I have observed others tipping once at the end of their few days of diving and while it looks impressive to hand over hundred dollar bills I wonder if it is shared equally by all the divemasters who were on the boat for those few days as well as the captain. Anyone have any thoughts?

That just depends on the crew and how well they work together as a team. If it's a crew that works together on a daily basis - chances are that they're honest with each other and split evenly. If it's a bunch of freelancers like many shops uses - then there's no team loyalty there. One way to alleviate that problem if you're worried about it is to give it to the shop owner or manager and they can split it up evenly among the crew - they will (should) have a record of who your crew members were each day.

And just to throw my 2 pesos in - $5 - $7 per tank per diver is the base standard here. If they worked hard for you then show them you appreciate them. If not, then take away from that - but that's a good baseline.

Hope this helps!

I always tip $10USD for a 2-tank dive. The dive op I used, (BA), and the DM/Captain took good care of me, setting up gear, swaping out tanks, help with donning gear if needed, helping load and unload gear on boat. They did not carry your gear from the shop to the boat and back and that was okay with me. After about the second day, I would set up my own gear, but that's just me. I like to tip each day as you may not get the same boat crew the next.
I did note that only about half the divers tipped the DM's.

Wow lots of good info! So basically If i tip the crew $75-$80 for 5 days of diving then that should be ok.

Wow lots of good info! So basically If i tip the crew $75-$80 for 5 days of diving then that should be ok.

Be careful - you may not have the same boat or DM each day. We did not.

Tipping daily is best.

Five dollars/person/tank

Same here...$10 per 2 tank dive per person is standard, more if warranted. We tip each day on the way back from the dives, that way the folks who took care of us get it. The dm or boat capitan can change from day to day.

I have to agree with the majority. When I dive with my husband the 2 of us tip $20us (or peso equivallent) per day, sometimes more. We like to tip daily.

Back
Top Bottom