Dry spell? What are you doing to keep your passion for diving when you can't dive?

Dry spell? What are you doing to to keep your dive passion alive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surfing SB and patiently waiting for my March trip to Cozumel while trying to keep warm without boosting the earnings of our local utility company.

waiting for may, then its a trip to vancouver island, then up to northern manitoba. nothing but clean, deep lakes everywhere. plus the rocky terrain makes for great climbing and running.

WOOT! Only about 8 more weeks!

This being my first off season,I have plenty to do that is dive related.I've just finished getting all my initial gear so I can use the time to learn all I can about it and how I want to fine tune the set up.
I can already see that diving will be an ongoing study from here on out.So dry time can be used for research.There will always be more to learn.
It's either that or remodel the bathroom.I looked at the tub the other day and wished it was deeper.:D

It's been over two months since I last submerged but I'm doing plenty of virtual diving by editing my underwater footage to create new DVDs and making plans to go to the Red Sea and the Phillipines once I learn how to counterfeit money better (heck the government prints up what it can't squeeze from us so why shouldn't we print up a little of our own).

I hit the gym. I use my next dive trip as an incentive to work out most nights by visualizing myself in lycra.

I live by the ocean so I always have the passion.
The whale migration is starting soon so I can drive to the end of the street and give my kids binoculars so they can enjoy the show. I feel one of the best things I can give them is a love for the ocean like my Father gave to me.

Am I the only weirdo here... If I am on forced break, like injured or everything is iced over, I will totally turn away from diving for awhile. I can't even think of it. It will make me absolutely nuts to read books and plan diving, so I will be in total denial and avoid boards etc.

I will hit the gym and pool though (and take more risks there because I am not worried about being sore or catching a cold and not being unable to dive). However, for awhile I will be off-scuba until there is some light in the horizon and I can start re-orienting again by reading and fondling gear :) Because of the dense denial though I sometimes realize that I missed a good opportunity to send something in for service, and curse myself noticing that now I have to anxiously wait whether some piece of gear will be back in time for when I am in water again.

Well at this point I just need to go do it! I have the dry suit, I have warmer undergarments...I just need to get rid of some sinus issues (and a recent knee issue) and go do it! BUT other than that, I'm just reading my dive mags and books, watching the odd DVD, and checking what's happening on this site!

Well there's usually open water in some part of Lake Ontario or Lake Huron right though the winter...and if it ices over, cut a hole in it. I've dived at least once a month, every month since May 2008 when I had a brief lapse and missed diving that month....

so no, I don't feel I'm missing my addiction.

I look for indoor pools that allow diving and utilize the pool LOL

I am with you on that one.. We also have a few indoor salted pools and Montreal has a 50 foot basin (pool) that I should be trying for the first time next month. I will be practicing with my new finger spool and how to deploy my safety sausage next week in a semi salted indoor pool. (yeah i am a nube):dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom