Tobago or Barbados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greymutt

Contributor
Reaction score
Southeastern Pennsylvania near King of Prussia, PA
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for some opinions on where to stay in March 2010 with my family. I am the diver, my wife is not nor my 3 year old (though I am sure she will some day). My daughter loves the beach and thus a beachfront location is a most. I have been looking at both islands and they seem similar in many ways and very different in others.

I am looking for someone to recommend one island over the other and also, what reasonably priced accommodations are closer to diving and calm beaches.

Thank you in advance

I can't speak about Tobago but in terms of Barbados the island has a ton of activities that I'm sure your wife and daughter will enjoy. If they're water enthusiasts like you they'll love swimming with the turtles, catamaran cruises, an underwater adventure on a real submarine, and of course the lovely beaches. There are lots of other activities as well such as island tours, safaris, museums, etc. In fact Barbados has more attractions per square mile than any other Caribbean island.

If you do choose Barbados the west coast would be more suitable as the sea on that side of the island is calmer than on the south coast. The east and north coasts have high cliffs and rough seas. The west coast is generally a bit more expensive (especially for beachfront accommodation) but there are some suitable hotels and self-catering apartments. There are some south coast beaches where the sea is pretty calm so don't rule out staying there. You can search for suitable accommodation at the barbados.org website.

Whichever you choose, I hope you have a most enjoyable vacation

Hi there, I've been to both and either would be a great choice for beaches, diving and your little one. Barbados is more developed and may have more for non-divers to do. But if it's just the beach they want, you can't go wrong either island. For a small child, you might go up the west coast of Barbados for calmer waters. But you'll pay more up there for accommodation. We usually stay more south in the Worthing area which is less touristy and close to Carlyle Bay where there are good dive shops. Tobago waters are maybe a bit rougher and deeper in general. But then you would never put a 3 year old in the ocean on their own!

Tobago has more reasonable prices for accommodation. if you don't need to be on the beach, we rented an amazing apartment for a very reasonable price. Had a nice patio and a 10 minute drive to the beach. Check them out -- Arnos Vale Apartments -- run by a great guy named Victor.

Tobago: The definitive Tobago tourist and holiday guide by myTobago.info

CHeck your PM....

Thank you all for your help. We decided on Tobago because it seems a bit slower and calmer. Just the thing for unwinding. Now the question is--In Speyside, do we stay with Manta Lodge or Blue Waters? Have seen conflicting reports on Manta and are wondering if the price increase to head for Blue Waters makes a big difference or if we just need to adopt the island attitude and roll with it. Have also heard Manta can be a bit noisy at night.

We stayed at Blue Waters Inn in September and I'm glad I picked it over Manta. BWI has a better beach that's just footsteps from the rooms (esp. if you get a ground floor like we did), prettier scenery, a nicer ambience, and is more secluded/quieter. Manta sits on the main street so you'll have to cross the road to get to the beach, which isn't as nice as BWI's . It's a short walk across the road, but with a 3-year old, I think you'll enjoy yourself more at BWI if easy beach access is an important factor. Manta is closer to town but not by much. BWI is in a cove around the corner from Manta but there's a large hill between the two that you'll have to go over each day to get into town. We had a car so it wasn't a big deal.

As for dive shops, we dove with Manta's op due to a recommendation. Perhaps it was an off week, but we did not have a good experience with them. I would recommend going with BWI's dive operation, especially if you're going to stay at BWI. Another couple dove with them and didn't seem to have any problems.

Hope this helps.

The main road had us worried but you are in a quiet area - Speyside. We enjoyed Manta Lodge, the diving and walks and birdlife was great. Barbados is very expensive compared to to Tobago.
Be ready for ripping currents in Speyside all dives were drift dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom