Equalizing in a Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougchartier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've never used a full face mask, but I'm curious whether there are any restrictions on how you equalize your ears while wearing one. From photos, it looks like you can't use Valsalva technique because the diver's nose is completely covered (i.e., the diver's hands can't pinch it shut).

The ones I have seen have like a built in nose plug that you simply press on to plug your nose when you need it.

It depends on the type of FFM. An EXO 26 has a soft nose skirt that allows the diver to get to his nose, while an AGA uses an adjustable seat that rests under the nostrils to allow seating/ covering the nostrils.

Other masks I am less familiar with allow for a mechanical constriction of the nasal passages.

Other techniques for clearing can be used in conjunction or stand alone.

My Ocean Reef FFM ( Neptune Space ) has two silicone plugs that when adjusted correctly seal off your nostrils with a press to the top of the FFM. but normally allow you to breathe easily through your nose.

Ty

Every FFM that I've seen has a way to clear your ears. My OTS uses nose blocks (the black thingy in the photo below) , that you push on the mask, to block your nose.

equal-2s.jpg

The Kirby Morgan M48 (shown below) or other similar masks with switch blocks, will have either a directly pinchable nose area, or a mechanism to pinch your nose, if the area is extended.

m48.jpg

I have owned both the Drager Nova Panorama and the AGA. The Drager uses nose pinchers that are actuated from outside the mask. Very simple, very comfortable, basically just like pinching your nose in a half mask. The AGA requires you to press the whole mask up against the bridge of the nose blocking off the nostrils. If the mask or nose block isn't adjusted properly, it can be difficult to clear. Donning the AGA properly is important for being able to clear. With either mask, I place it on my head and hold it in the position for clearing with one hand while I tighten the 5-pt harness with the other hand. It gets easy with practice. I find the Drager to be much more comfortable and easier to use; however, with the p-ports, it is much more expensive than the AGA. Each has it's use. I used my Drager for deep diving and the AGA for shallow public safety diving. I much prefer the Drager, but to my shagrin, I sold it when I stopped diving the rebreather. :(

Superlights and bandmasks have a neoprene nose block, most modern helmets are similar. Older metal helmets had a small shelf that you glued a piece of neoprene on, to clear your ears you turned your head to the side in the helmet and pressed your nose down on the shelf.

I have two Ocean Reef NIRA FFMS, and love them. Being in Michigan with the cold water, they are a great tool to extend a dive and be comfortable. The drysuit and the FFM go well.

Back
Top Bottom