Anyone using the new Pearl i3 bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After much research and trying on the BC's, I went with the Scubapro Lakyhawk that I learned with. It really just fit and felt better and I knew the gear, so thanks for everyone's thoughts and recommendations. I can't wait until the end of the month to dive in Bonaire, Aruba and St. Thomas!

I know it's been a year and a half since the last post here, but I found this thread while searching for info on the Pearl i3 and thought I would add my 2 cents.

My girlfriend is getting her OW certifiication and we have been visiting the local dive shops to investigate various pieces of gear. After trying on several models of BCs designed for women, she found the Pearl to be the most comfortable. Fit and feal was the primary consideration, but she also liked the i3 feature.

I'm OK with this feature myself (and plan on replacing my own BC with the Pro QD i3 someday), but I am 1) not thrilled with the oral inflation hose that comes with the i3 models and 2) a bit uncomfortable with how different this BC is "out of the box" from what most divers are used to. Of course, the i3 diver's buddy should be familiar with how to operate the i3 BC, but what if there is the unlikely event that an i3 diver needs to get assistance from someone who was not their buddy (i.e. both buddies are in trouble)?

So when the time comes to buy the Pearl i3, I intend to purchase the traditional inflator hose that would come with the non-i3 Pearl and replace the i3's oral inflation hose with it.

This ~$65 addition provides a redundant method of controlling the air in the BC, but more importantly it adds the more familiar method for others to do so should the need arise.

While I agree with the comments about Aqualung's original marketing ("UP for going up, DOWN for descent") as being misleading, they have now changed that description to: "The i3 is simple and intuitive. Move the lever up to inflate; down to deflate your jacket."

Cheers,
Brian

So when the time comes to buy the Pearl i3, I intend to purchase the traditional inflator hose that would come with the non-i3 Pearl and replace the i3's oral inflation hose with it.

This ~$65 addition provides a redundant method of controlling the air in the BC, but more importantly it adds the more familiar method for others to do so should the need arise.

I'm not sure if this "redundant" air control method is the best (if by this you mean to have both the i3 and the standard inflator connected to LP hoses and the tank), because in case of a leak, it will be harder to guess which of the two inflation systems is leaking air into the bladder. I have used the Pro QD i3 for two years (now I have switched to a DSS BP/W) and it worked ok; it's not such a big issue and many new BC models have some hip-located inflation system these days.

I see that you decided to go with the LadyHawk already, but I thought I'd add my opinion as well anyway.
I am fairly new to diving, only been certified a couple of years, and the Pearl i3 was my first BC I bought. I learned with the traditional type of BC and it was fine. But when I was researching the different BCs available, once I found the Pearl i3 I thought it was an awesome idea to have the lever down low and the anatomical cut for a women. I LOVE the lever on the side, and have never had a problem with it nor people not knowing how to use it once they noticed there was no traditional hose. My dive buddy (and boy-friend) also has the i3, so we are very familiar with eachother's equipment. The i3 is so easy to use, but I'd say I do have one complaint with the Pearl. Since it is 'anatomical' for women, the bottom of the BC hits you above the hips, for those endowed with larger hips (plus it's suppoed to be a flatteing fit, not sure if I believe that). Since it is shorter, it also seems to be a bit bulkier.
Other then this, I love my BC, the look, the fit, the lever for control, the whole deal!

I've tried many BCDs I have taken 12 months to find a BCD that fits my body shape - I'm not a big person & have girly curves unisex just don't fit - :D
I have ordered my Pearl i3 & am looking forward to diving with it :wink:

I have used my new Pearl i3 twice over the weekend and I'm in love with it...It fits me like no other BCD..my air consumption improved I was just so comfortable ...the i3 lever is very easy to use ...& I don't feel like I'm having a Mammogram when I dive...:D :kiss2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom