Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Fleet - Sea Shepherd

At a fundraising event in Los Angeles on Saturday, October 17th, 2009, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society unveiled their newest ocean defense vessel: the Ady Gil. The vessel, previously known as the Earthrace, is a fast, futuristic looking trimaran that recently set the world record for global circumnavigation. The vessel renaming reflects the ship’s benefactor, Ady Gil, who helped acquire the vessel.

Due to its speed capabilities, up to 50 knots, Captain Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd President and Founder) will use the Ady Gil to intercept and physically block the harpoon ships from illegally slaughtering whales.

Hoisted by his own petard.

Is everyone discounting the testimony of experienced captains who are saying the movements of the SM2 are unlikely to be responses to helm commands?

These ships have turning circles of hundreds of metres, not a dozen yards. You're not going to see them spinning on a sixpence to a helm command to outmanoeuvre a fibre glass racing boat with a top speed over three times that of the whalers.

You can analyse the video footage as much as you like, but over such a short timespan the pitch and yaw of the waves is going to impact the short term direction regardless of commands from the helm

I'm well aware of turning radius, that's irrelevant. Regardless, you make an effort; they apparently didn't.

We will see what the results of the investigation are. If they concur with you and the "experienced Captains," I'll be happy to say you were right. If not, I wonder if you will admit that you were mistaken...?

I'm well aware of turning radius, that's irrelevant. Regardless, you make an effort; they apparently didn't.

Apparently? How can you tell from this footage? And how can turning radius be irrelevant when we're considering whether this turn is induced by the helm or the waves?! It would seem to be of direct and importance to me.

We will see what the results of the investigation are.

What investigation?

If they concur with you and the "experienced Captains," I'll be happy to say you were right. If not, I wonder if you will admit that you were mistaken...?

Sure, if there is a proper investigation by an impartial, external agency that absolves the Ady Gil of any responsibility for this collision then I will agree.

Apparently? How can you tell from this footage? And how can turning radius be irrelevant when we're considering whether this turn is induced by the helm or the waves?! It would seem to be of direct and importance to me.

1. Similar wave/current conditions were faced by all vessels.
2. You have 3 reference points on the video I noted. I think that the Whaler's actions are obvious.
3. I believe they had time to turn and believe they in-fact did, turning starboard and ramming the SS vessel.
4. If the course could not be corrected, the colliding vessel should have attempted to avoid the collision. If a collision couldn't be avoided how about sounding a collision alarm?
5. Lend assistance to those in-need after the collission (not just spray the potential wounded with high pressure ice water.

None of the appropriate actions were apparently taken.

What investigation?

The one that is sure to follow.

Sure, if there is a proper investigation by an impartial, external agency that absolves the Ady Gil of any responsibility for this collision then I will agree.

Great, then there's nothing to discuss until the results are in. :)

I can't believe you guys are going back and forth regarding fault. SS was most definately the provocative party involved. The real questions are whether nations will take action against SS aggressive tactics along with the larger question of whether the culling of whales should be continued and my whom.

My opionion is allow the few remaining tribes/communties in North America/Iceland and Norway to take a handfull of Minkes or less threatened species and shut down all other commercial whaling. Sustainable hunting is absurd in that all species of whales are at dramatically lower numbers than 100 years ago.

I will admit being wrong, if found to be wrong. I like to learn, I don't like it from a negative lessons, But .... I try to learn from lifes lessons.

The stationary camera , Wasn't the crew (Ady Gil) waving to the people on a moving ship?The Bob Barker? In the last seconds of the AG video?

Ive been sick the past week and beside my wife, this is the most interaction Ive had with a human! even if over the internet.
See you topside! John

Just a thought, if my numbers are right we are taking out something like 0,5-1% of the total mink whale population of the North Atlantic every year. They are numerous up here, perhaps already more than the ocean can support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom