Views on ice diving?

What best describes your view of ice diving?

• Do it all the time - I love it!

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Did it once - never again

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Never done it, but would like to do it

Votes: 115 52.3%
  • Not something that really grabs my interest

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Those guys are &$*^#ing nuts

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

worth it for the look on the DM's face when your diving in the tropics and show them your ice c-card
When i was in Turkie, i'd dive with local DC. So owner of this DC asked me my log book to see my experience in diving. I give him my coumputer to see logs.
When he saw deep 60ft and temp. 39 degrees for 40 min. - he ask me - am i crazy? :D He said he had never dive in water colder than 70 deg.

Ice diving would be great!! I enjoy diving in glacial lakes in Jasper, even in a 7mm wetsuit. those lakes tend to hover just above freezing temperatures especially in the spring and fall seasons. as long as you keep moving and really focus on your breathing, you will stay nice and toasty.

I recommend cold water diving to any and everyone, although if you have only dove in 25C and warmer, I'd say ease way into cooler waters so it's not so much of a shock for your body. but definitely something to try none the less.

inverted ice hockey....
of course,suckering your surface support into cutting the 2 holes is sometimes trying...
soccer ball for puck
it is winter.......
better than tv!!!!!!
line tenders get a bit combative too!!!!!

I would love to try ice diving.

Wonder where would I have to travel from NC to try it out. I guess I would have to arrange training/certification to be able to do the dive(s).

Never in a million years! I think 72 degrees is cold!!!

:D 06.01.2010 Place Germany, Überlingen, Lake of Constance, Air -Temp.-11 ° C Water 3 ° C, Dive Time 50min, Dive depth 42 m, Deko - Time 15 min:D:D:D
That is Ice Diving :wink:

Attachments

• DSCF1288.JPG
    DSCF1288.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 45
:D 06.01.2010 Place Germany, Überlingen, Lake of Constance, Air -Temp.-11 ° C Water 3 ° C, Dive Time 50min, Dive depth 42 m, Deko - Time 15 min:D:D:D
That is Ice Diving :wink:

Yes, it is! Nice pic.

Sounds like the warmest guys were the ones in the water.... :wink:

It's awfully difficult to stay warm while suiting up in really cold air temps, especially if it's windy.

Did you have some heated shelters?

Dave C

Yes, it is! Nice pic.

Sounds like the warmest guys were the ones in the water.... :wink:

It's awfully difficult to stay warm while suiting up in really cold air temps, especially if it's windy.

Did you have some heated shelters?

Dave C

No, in the Dry Suit it is so 25°C air temp. but the longer one in water remains the colder it becomes:cool2:

Very Cold

Just finished my ice certs today here in central MO. Had one really great dive even with a freeflow, and two ok dives. Not sure if I would travel great distance to do, but since we had ice here and an instructor for it thought I would try it at least once. Awesome experience.

Back
Top Bottom