Packing for first dive trip -- what am we missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Help us avoid the common mistakes. What have you forgotten to pack, and wished you'd known better?

We're both pretty organized and pack well, but we imagine there are a few things obvious to those more experienced. (We've both amassed a basic set of gear: boots, fins, skin and/or 1mm suit, bcd, reg, mask, snorkel, open finger gloves.) We've put our gear on almost every evening, and are joining in a pool session just for fun tomorrow morning to actually get everything wet.

And yeah, we've got the sunscreen and safety sausage. :)

We're headed to Cozumel in about a week for a week long stay at Scuba Club along with 65 of our soon to be closest friends from our LDS club.

Help me add to my list.

1 - mesh gear bag for lugging things from room to boat, etc.
2 - little retractable lanyard thingie for fish id cards
3 - ...

...gloves are officially a 'no-no' in Coz.....also, as you will have 65 other divers to sponge off of, as well as easy access to civilization and like 100 different dive ops/shops, don't over-sweat this issue...THIS time! ...once you venture to more remote 3rd-world locations/liveaboards, THEN I'd pay close attention to the suggestions thus far listed...they will be way more critical then.

In terms of safety, especially if there is a lot of current and you do not have a huge DSMB or don't know how to use one consider a fold-able dive flag like this one
I can tell you that this will do the job and is not expensive item to carry in a BCD pocket

25ft of parachute cord for repair, clothelines, restraints etc

...dude, you've been watching a few too many 'Man vs. Wild' TV episodes.......:)

LOL...I did stop short of suggesting it's use for snares, fishing line, rappelling and tourniquets. :D

When I was there in late November, the mosquitoes came out for an hour or so at dusk, and they were brutal. I have been there in the past with no such problem, so I don't know why, but as a result I strongly suggest bug spray.

Make sure you have a small light. Not only is it great for seeing colors at depth, but Cozumel is famous for some really nice swim throughs for which it would be good to have a light.

If you are diving at Scuba Club, you will not be using Aldora. I don't think Scuba Club has the nice fleece jackets TS&M mentioned. The boat ride home can get chilly this time of the year.

A lot of people have mentioned Dramamine or other motion sickness medicine. Unless you are unusually susceptible to motion sickness, you probably won't need it. The water there is extremely flat under most circumstances, although that can change in a hurry if there is a storm (rare). If there is a wind, the result is more chop than rolling waves.

I just got back from there, it was one of the best weeks of diving I've ever had there. Don't worry too much about stomach medications; I got the best anti-heartburn pills of my life at a Cozumel farmacia. (I can get pretty sick diving after a meal) I think sudafed might be restricted, so consider bringing that.

Don't sweat bringing every little thing, there are dive shops everywhere that are happy to gouge you if you forget something! Likewise for any sort of typical travel-related item. I think scuba club (I always forget which one that is) is sort in between the two monstro-stores, Chedraui and Mega, so you won't have far to go for shopping at it's finest.

This has been a great thread......
Might mention about the gloves. (Not to start a flame war, else I might have to pull out my knife, ah wait a second no knifes allowed in Coz.) Gloves are only a no-no in the marine preserve. I believe shore diving they are okay and might be useful on wreck diving, although I don't personally wreck dive.

My 2 centavos worth is socks.......The first 2-3 nights I wore my flip flops and man did the mosquitos have a go at my ankles when I was out and about. Then I noticed the locals all were wearing shoes and socks........well I started wearing them early in the morning for my walk or bike ride and again in the early evening.......wala........no more squito bites around the ankle area.

Great stuff! We are also going on our first trip to Cozumel and staying at Scuba Club Cozumel with a small group from our LDS. We'll be there Jan 23-30. Maybe we'll be there at the same time?
I was going to sit down today and start making lists and this thread has been great! I'm going to get to work on that and may be back with some questions.

A waterproof case (like a pelican) for your room key, tip money for DM (at least $5 per tank per diver/snorkeler), cell phone, etc.

Also, do you know how to deploy your safety sausage? Unless you are at the surface, you might want to get a finger reel & get someone to show you how to use it. Cozumel has currents, so you need to know how to use the sausage, not just have one.

Do you have your own dive computer? You didn't mention that. If so, bring it. If you have a dive watch, bring it. If you have nice jewelry, leave it at home.

For a week trip, I would bring 2 - 3 bathing suits each. Women might like a tshirt and shorts or some sort of sarong thing to wear on the boat. If you have stuff you want to keep dry on the boat, you can sometimes put it in the boat's dry box. Some dive operators in Cozumel are not as prepared as those in the US with all the niceties of home. If so, you may want to buy a dry bag.

Also, I would bring a small container of vineagar or jelly fish sting topical medicine. You might get stung by a jellyfish or swim through some sea lice, and vineagar or sting medicine provides some relief.

Finally, for the ladies I would bring some sort of spray in hair conditioner or cheap liquid conditioner. I put it in my hair before I go diving, and it reduces the impact of all that salt water on my hair. Over the course of a week the saltwater can really do some damage.

Have a terrific time!

Also, I would bring a small container of vineagar or jelly fish sting topical medicine. You might get stung by a jellyfish or swim through some sea lice, and vineagar or sting medicine provides some relief.

FYI, this once standard advice is now controversial. Many people still advocate this, but others do not. If you do a quick search of the DAN site, you will see that they only recommend vinegar for box jellyfish stings, which will not happen in Cozumel or anywhere in the Atlantic or Caribbean. They do not recommend it for sea lice, either. As I said, it is a matter of controversy and not a universal belief.

Greetings Lavachickie and you are going to love Coz! There has been some really great items mentioned and really the one I would add would be a pair of trama scissors with an appropriate holder. I know that knives are very discouraged but a cutting device can be very useful in other applications as well.
A case of water is heavy but if I have room I will always take one! This is my practice when ever I travel outside the US. This is not always possible but if it is you may choose to.
One bit of advice is eating before the dive, I loved the fruit and the plantains were amazing! I ate dozens of them, I am really shocked I did not get sick from over eating them. I loved the food on Coz and I ate grouper and other sea food for a week!
It just does not get any better. Beware the creamy sauced stuff however I had a very unpleasant evening because of it. Could be just my thing but would have been very upset had it cost me a dive.
Travel with a minimum of clothes and buy what you need beyond the normal!
The zip lock bags are a great idea that allow you to stow the ocean odored items after a week of diving. That is unless you have a laundry service or access to washer. We tried the sink and it really did not work so well.
We went to the Mega mart and on the Playa side via. ferry ride to WalMart! It was really a fun thing to do and we grabbed some goodies aka. snacks.
You will love it and relax enjoy the trip! Way cool to be you!
Safe diving and safe travels as well.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom