Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Diver Mexico, My wife and I are headed your way to Puerto Vallarta next week and would like to dive a day or two. She's a rookie with me not far behind (I have about 50 logged dives, she has about 5) Who would you recommend we go through for our diving?

Scuba Diver Mexico, My wife and I are headed your way to Puerto Vallarta next week and would like to dive a day or two. She's a rookie with me not far behind (I have about 50 logged dives, she has about 5) Who would you recommend we go through for our diving?

You can send Ali an email gueri25@hotmail.com or ali here at Scubaboard.

Happy diving

Los Arcos conditions yesterday were:

The moorings area

Visibility 30 ft
Water temperature 82 F down to 30 feet and 77 F down to 100 feet
Little surge and a mild current

Bajo del Cristo shallow moorings area

Visibility 30 to 40 Ft
Water temperature 82 F down to 30 feet
Little surge and almost no current

Overcast skies in the morning and sunny in the afternoon.

In general very nice conditions for January !! (especially for training)

It is incredible,

The water temperature in the first 50 ft was 82 F and at 100 ft it only dropped down to 79 F. This is warmer than any of the outdoor pools at this time of year in Puerto Vallarta !! I went for a drysuit training session to the pool at the El Tigre sports club and the water was 77 F.

At the wall the dives on Saturday breathing 32 % called for a max depth of 100 ft , but after diving I decided to send down a bottom timer on a line from the boat to check out the temp at 190 ft . The lowest reading was 77 F !!

Visibility at 100 ft was 40 to 50 feet (very nice) and the current was very mild around noon. Surge was mild to moderate.

It is off to Ensenada and other places in Baja California in a few days but I will be posting the conditions I get reported from Puerto Vallarta. I am very curious to see when the water temp will abruptly change.

Attachments

• IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Keep us posted. We're considering diving PV next month.

Just dove last week with PVScuba, and I did a two tank dive off of Las Marietas (marine sanctuary). Viz was about 45 feet, water temp very warm (about 79), lots of middle and micro life to see. So a really good dive.

You also asked who to dive with, and that leads to a good question: "How do you know a good operator?" Before I got to the boat, I got my gear: the gear was excellent (weight integrated BCs), well maintained and we used steel 100's. No baby tanks. When we got on the boat, I could see that the boat was good quality and well maintained. As we left the dock, I was told where the VHF was and asked if I knew how to use it, and where the O2 was. When we got to the site, we did a real pre-dive briefing, reviewed signals so we are all saying the same thing.

Was WAS interesting was that there were some other dive groups diving with us off PV's boat. One of the outfits that I used last time (and never again) was also there. Terrible out-dated and over-used BCs, "barely there" shorty wet-suits. and I listened to the dive master: no pre-dive brief...and we all paid the same price (within a couple of bucks).

I'm going back in April, and will use PV Scuba again. Good operator, great gear, knowledgable dive master (Ramses), and doesn't run a cattle car operation.

Cheers from chilly Canada.

Rob.

Weird phenomenon in the middle of the bay today .

Strange winter we have had so far !

attachment.php

Attachments

• CULEBRA bahia de Banderas.jpg
    CULEBRA bahia de Banderas.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 306
i am going to PV next week for a few days.

Any new info regarding current water temp and viz?

Gracias amigos.

Yesterday at Majahuitas viz was in the 30-ft range and min temp at 78F / 25.5C at 60ft depth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom