Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to compare killing and eating whales with killing and eating humans, then please do so. It's facile and I won't feel the need to respond further.

booooo

:no:

Geoff, like I said earlier just provide some links from an objective party, not Sea Shepherd or the IWC.
If you're not able to please refer back to post #192.

Oh im not just comparing the killing of whales to the killing of people. I'll keep right on going with it if I walked into your house and killed your dog or cat you would be pissed but hey from a sustainability standpoint killing a dog or cat should be perfectly fine as long as I was going to use it for something.

I don't have a problem with eating cats or dogs to be honest. Nor pigs, cows, horses, birds, fish or whales as long as we're not endangering any species or ecosystem.

The human race has evolved to a point where most of us have figured out we are not the center of the world and that our destructive habits on the planet and the other life forms on it have non-reversable effects.

Definitely agree. We also have plenty of effects which don't harm the planet at all. The question is which category the whaling falls in.

Killing whales for food would be one thing if there was nothing else for you to eat. But that is simply not the case. The rest of the life on the planet should not be forced to suffer as a result of our destructive self involved lifestyles.

And yes before anyone asks I do eat meat. Which yes I am fully aware that makes me a hypocrite.

OK, as long as you realise your argument is not logically consistent - that's ok. We humans have all got complicated brains and we all struggle with cognitive dissonance from time to time.

We humans have all got complicated brains and we all struggle with cognitive dissonance from time to time.

SOunds like a personal problem.:eyebrow:

Do you buy diapers for that problem?:eyebrow:

Come on, be nice.

Wow.. yes I have read the entire thread before commenting. I have watched the videos and reexamined them after reading posts and still can't see What some people so confidently state is clear and obvious!

What is clear and obvious to me is that both parties are in the wrong! I can not judge that the SS people were on a terrorist suicide mission. No one can know what is in someone else's mind.

I can only judge what I see and I am horrified that the water cannon was clearly directed at a disabled boat with people being tossed about with no control. Deliberately aiming that cannon at someone in that mess.. in that cold water is as close as you can get to attempted murder IMHO. I would not support SS clearly and deliberately endangering life either.

Scientific research is a furfy.... a convenient cover for Commercial Whaling IMHO.. sure they do some research but I don't see that as anything but a cover. I know I am not alone in this but I won't claim I know what the Majority thinks or feels.

The IWA is another issue......some of the weaker/poor member countries http://www.iwcoffice.org/commission/members.htm are given massive.... foreign aid from Japan... that aid comes at a price... their support of their benefactor at votes allowing them their "Research permission". The Australian Contingent has been fighting and lobbying for years to try to change this.

You can not blame a poor starving country for putting the health of their people and country ahead of the Whales. No I do not have any links to provide just having watched reports of these Whaling Conventions, video, in print and documentaries.

I accept Japan's right to do what they chose in their waters but I do not accept their right to take Whales in OUR waters!

Last edited:
No... Not really... But I am sure we can find a few more torpedos for the Norweigan whaling fleet, too.

I find your threats inappropriate and ask for you to get a warning from the staff...

It's been an interesting debate back and forth with the same rationale I have seen from some of pro-Antarctic whaling advocates displaying repeat net behaviors over the years.

Geoff and Kompressor - get off your little soap & bullying soap stands. You both seem like the former US vice president - Dick Cheney - happy to move past objective reasoning and data manipulation to strictly whine and cheese. What you're missing is that your POV is becoming obsolete.

I wouldn't want to live in your future world where you have little wiggle room to see what is a fight to end a useless practice in a scientific sanctuary.

X

I can only judge what I see and I am horrified that the water cannon was clearly directed at a disabled boat with people being tossed about with no control. Deliberately aiming that cannon at someone in that mess.. in that cold water is as close as you can get to attempted murder IMHO.

Just for accuracy - if you watch the trajectory of the rear water cannon - it does not change throughout the whole video. There was no "deliberate aiming" - it appears to be unmanned.

I accept Japan's right to do what they chose in their waters but I do not accept their right to take Whales in OUR waters!

These are not YOUR waters. You might claim them, but the vast majority of nations on this planet do not accept or recognise Australia's claim to this part of the ocean.

Geoff and Kompressor - get off your little soap & bullying soap stands. You both seem like the former US vice president - Dick Cheney - happy to move past objective reasoning and data manipulation to strictly whine and cheese. What you're missing is that your POV is becoming obsolete.

I wouldn't want to live in your future world where you have little wiggle room to see what is a fight to end a useless practice in a scientific sanctuary.

Mr X - get off your soapbox too. You seem like Bill Clinton - manipulative, lying and selectively recognising the facts to fit your own agenda. "I did not have sex with that woman".

What you're missing if your POV is becoming obsolete - you don't have the right or means to dictate what happens halfway round the world in something that is nothing to do with you.

I wouldn't want to live in your future world where you don't choose to engage your brain to objectively assess problems and - instead - get caught up in emotional do-gooding groupthink. You would be perfectly happy in 1984.

<disclaimer> I am happy to discuss the issues but if StevenN, Mr X and their buddies continue to attack me as a person I will reserve the right to ridicule them back. If the mod's won't police their attacks that have NOTHING to do with the issues under discussion then so be it.

Just for accuracy - if you watch the trajectory of the rear water cannon - it does not change throughout the whole video. There was no "deliberate aiming" - it appears to be unmanned.

These are not YOUR waters. You might claim them, but the vast majority of nations on this planet do not accept or recognise Australia's claim to this part of the ocean.

In fairness I have done as suggested and you are correct the trajectory does not appear to change. It seems to have a slight sweeping motion which is exaggerated by the motion of the boat's movement. I stand corrected on that issue!

This is alarming information 31 to 46% of Whale meat randomly tested from Japan's supermarkets was geneticly tested and found to be from the IWC J-stock (protected stock) and not the O-stock healthy community that is sustainable. The J-stock is protected under the IWC rules

Protected Whales Found In Japan?s Supermarkets - Science News

Back
Top Bottom