Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is explicitly stated that whale meat obtained from whaling will not be wasted and will be used as food. Wouldn't it be even worse to kill these animals and then throw away the meat?

Come on' Geoff...you know they can't keep that meat in the fridge forever. If Ogisan and Obasan (old folks in Japanese) + kids don't want it - it's gotta go somewhere else. Necko-chan tabemono neh?

X

The Ady Gil was under way, not making way! (contradition to what the spokesman for SS says)
(Does anyone have integrity? BTW same captain that was shot?) In the video under post 126 by DOC H you can clearly see the dummies (the bat mobile boat) apply power at approx 13 second mark! There is no evidence of them (Japan) making a radical maneuver.... unless you count the acctual killing of the whales!
Two wrongs don't make a right!
I would not be even be able to guess if it is or is not illegal! Now if you have copies of the paper work please share with other to prove how thier acts are illegal! Deplorable yes but illegal??? and I am guessing niether does any other person on this board! (you should supply some copy of, or have first hand info) Now as far as the action of the SS group, That is for sure is illegal.
See you topside! John

I feel we're far past the point where we need to kill animals to research them. Sure it was necessary in the days of John James Audubon (A shotgun was one of his most important tools) or even in Ed Rickett's days when they fried the fish after they studied them. Especially with a species so large and easy to track as whales are.

Have a think how many of these published research articles from the last 3 years could have been written by sticking radio probes on whales. I look forward to seeing the equivalent research list from Sea Shepherd to advance our knowledge of these creatures.

Fujihira, T., Kobayashi, M., Hochi, S., Hirabayashi, M., Ishikawa, H., Ohsumi, S. and Fukui, Y. 2006. Developmental capacity of Antarctic minke whale (Balaenoptera bonaerensis) vitrified oocytes following in vitro maturation, and parthenogenetic activation or intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Zygote 14: 89-95.

Honda, K., Aoki, M. and Fujise, Y. 2006. Ecochemical Approach Using Mercury Accumulation of Antarctic Minke Whale, Balaenoptera bonaerensis, as Tracer of Historical Change of Antarctic Marine Ecosystem During 1980-1999. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 76: 140-147.

Iwanami, K., Mita, H., Yamamoto, Y., Fujise, Y., Yamada, T. and Suzuki, T. 2006. cDNA-derived amino acid sequences of myoglobins from nine species of whales and dolphins. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 145:249-56.

Kobayashi, T., Amemiya, K., Takeuchi, K., Tsujioka, T., Tominaga, K., Hirabayashi, M., Ishikawa, H., Fukui, Y. and Hochi, S. 2006. Contribution of spermatozoal centrosomes to the microtubule-organizing centre in Antarctic minke whale (Balaenoptera bonaerensis). Zygote 14(1): 45-51.

Konishi, K. 2006. Characteristics of blubber distribution and body condition indicators for Antarctic minke whale (Balaenoptera bonaerensis). Mammal Study 31: 15-22. Abstract and PDF, J-STAGE Link

Mori, M. and Butterworth, D.S. 2006. A first step towards modelling the krill-predator dynamics of the Antarctic ecosystem. CCAMLR Science 13: 217-277. PDF, CCAMLR Science Link

Nikaido, M., Hamilton, H., Makino, H., Sasaki, T., Takahashi, K., Goto, M., Kanda, N., Pastene, L.A. and Okada, N. 2006. Baleen whale phylogeny and a past extensive radiation event revealed by SINE insertion analysis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23(5): 866-873. Abstract and PDF, Molecular Biology and Evolution Link

Yabuki, T., Suga, T., Hanawa, K., Matsuoka, K., Kiwada, H. and Watanabe, T. 2006. Possible Source of the Antarctic Bottom Water in the Prydz Bay Region. Journal of Oceanography 62(5): 649-655.

Asada, M., Tetsuka, M., Ishikawa, H., Ohsumi, S. and Fukui, Y. 2007. Ultrastructural Changes during Maturation and Cryopreservation of Follicular Oosytes of Antarctic Minke Whales (Balaenoptera bonaerensis). Japanese Journal of Zoo Wildlife and Medicine 12(1): 51-66.

LeDuc, R.G., Dizon, A.E., Goto, M., Pastene, L.A., Kato, H., Nishiwaki, S. and Brownell, R.L. 2007.Patterns of genetic variation in southern hemisphere blue whales, and the use of assignment test to detect mixing on the feeding grounds.J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 9(1): 73-80.

Nagai, H., Mogoe, T., Ishikawa, H., Hochi, S., Ohsumi, S. and Fukui, Y. 2007. Follicle Size-Dependent Changes in Follicular Fluid Components and Oocyte Diameter in Antarctic Minke Whales (Balaenoptera bonaerensis). Journal of Reproduction and Development 53(6): 1265-1272.

Nishida, S., Goto, M., Pastene, L.A., Kanda, N. and Koike, H. 2007.Phylogenetic Relationships Among Cetaceans Revealed by Y-Chromosome Sequences.Zoological Science 24(7): 723-732.

Onbe, K. Nishida, S., Sone, E., Kanda, N., Goto, M., Pastene, L.A., Tanabe, S. and Koike, H. 2007.Sequence Variation in the Tbx4 Gene in Marine Mammals?E?EI>Zoological Science 24(5): 449-464.

Pastene, L.A., Goto, M., Kanda, N., Zerbini, A.N., Kerem, D., Watanabe, K., Bessho, Y., Hasegawa, M., Nielsen, R., Larsen, F. and PalsbA,ll, P.J. 2007.Radiation and speciation of pelagic organisms during periods of global warming: the case of the common minke whale, Balaenoptera acutorostrata. Molecular Ecology 16: 1481-1495.

Ishikawa, H. and Shigemune, H. 2008.Comparative Experiment of Whaling Grenades in the Japanese Whale Research Program under Special Permit (JARPA and JARPN). Jpn. J. Zoo Wildl. Med. 13(1): 21-28.

Konishi, K., Tamura, T., Zenitani, R., Bando, T., Kato, H. and WallA,e, L. 2008.Decline in energy storage in the Antarctic minke whale (Balaenoptera bonaerensis) in the Southern Ocean. Polar Biol: 31: 1509-1520.

Yunoki, K., Ishikawa, H., Fukui, Y. and Ohnishi, M. 2008.Chemical Properties of Epidermal Lipids, Especially Sphingolipids, of the Antarctic Minke Whale. Lipids (2008) 43: 151-159.

I disagree on both counts. They're whales. They aren't cute, and they aren't sentient. But they are a slow growing slow breeding species. Overharvesting is the problem. The Japanese and the Norwiegans use modern technology to hunt and kill whales. Then when there are protests, they whine and bitch that their ancestors were able to do it, they should too. OK, just like the Inuits, go ahead. Row the fricken' dory to the whaling grounds and harpoon a big'n. Tow it home, and cut it up on the beach. Salt it, just like grandpappy did. Don't be putting it in the fridge. That is the only way whaling is sustainable, as the whale has an even chance.

Whales are an endangered species, just like New England codfish were 10 years ago. Unfortunately, whales don't spawn like cod do. They won't be back for hundreds of years.

That's the problem most people have.

I've never heard anyone wine and bitch around here. Where do you have that from? We harvest from a very sound and sustainable population of mink whales, only. The meat is prosessed and sold in any grocery store I visit like any other meat, and though it used to be cheap it isn't anymore. It sells for about $13/lbs. -Which is 1/3 of the regular price for Beef tenderloin, and twice the price of pork chops.

If the Norwegian whaling fleet(??! Just a few wooden boats, actually...) were to argue harvesting other species of whale they would have no support from the Norwegian population. But then they haven't even considered that.

I've never heard anyone wine and bitch around here. Where do you have that from? We harvest from a very sound and sustainable population of mink whales, only. The meat is prosessed and sold in any grocery store I visit like any other meat, and though it used to be cheap it isn't anymore. It sells for about $13/lbs. -Which is 1/3 of the regular price for Beef tenderloin, and twice the price of pork chops.

If the Norwegian whaling fleet(??! Just a few wooden boats, actually...) were to argue harvesting other species of whale they would have no support from the Norwegian population. But then they haven't even considered that.

That being said - do Norwegians as an aggregate like the stuff? While it sounds rustic and all (wooden boats) aren't the hunter boats a little more advanced? Metal boats?

X

Majority of meat was probaly a mistatement but here you go. At least Norway and Iceland honestly label their activities as commercial whaling...Ta din posisjon på harpunen. Lol

Japan resumes imports of Norway whale meat | The Japan Times Online

Ha ha! 5,6 tons? Must be half a whale or so... I think the quota for 2009 was about 900 mink whales, but we're a small country so I think they stopped long before that since the market is small. Export to Iceland doesn't make any difference. Neither does these 4 pallets to Japan! I think the issue behind this "new" export to Japan is more a political one, since we've been having trouble with other countries interfering with our export of whale products. We have a domestic market that can support distribution of probably 6-700 whales a year, but the blubber is not used here. And the Japanese would like to buy it but this has been halted for many years by some international embargo I think. So for a while the blubber kept piling up. What they do with it now I don't know, but sadly it probably goes to waste. Norwegians are picky. I guess we keep the best parts to ourselves...
-It doesn't stop many people here eating sheeps head and lutefisk every christmas though! :shakehead:

It is clear from the video that the Japanese whaling vessel made a radical maneuver to ram the Ady Gil.
You mean the batboat who was steering straight towards it all the time and accelerated just before the crash?

And the Japanese whaling is obviously very illegal, but the Japanese are hiding behind claims of "research."
Despite what SS want you to believe, there is NO law stating that their whaling is illegal. There is however an agreement to not comitt commercial whaling (an agreement which Norway is not a part of), but theres no law or no actual punishment for breaking the agreement either..

How is it that "research" animals are ending up on dinner plates in Tokyo restaurants?
You want it to just be thrown away?
Sure, "research" is an ulterior motive, but would it be better if the meat was thrown in the trash?

If I had $5M to donate, I'd be supplying torpedos.
Oh, so terrorism is fine if its for the cause of protecting the whales, but if muslims kill us infidels its wrong?

Despite what SS want you to believe, there is NO law stating that their whaling is illegal. There is however an agreement to not comitt commercial whaling (an agreement which Norway is not a part of), but theres no law or no actual punishment for breaking the agreement either..

Sorry Tiger - the IWC (international whaling body) set those guidelines regarding whaling in the Antarctic Sanctuary. It's very different than hunting whales in sovereign waters...like around Norway. At least the Norwegians and Icelanders have the balls to say we're hunting in our own water...not being duplicitous and lying about it!

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom