MWB vs AWB in green water. before/after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Highliner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone have a few secs of video that shows before and after white balance adjustments while shooting in green water? I am learning my SR12 in the L&M Stingray Plus housing. Thanks in advance

I don't have any video but I would suggest that you always use MWB for best results. Set it off your hand (if your not wearing gloves) or even just try setting it off the substrate, especially if there is a nice sandy area where you dive.

Here's a quick video I shot using the APS Manta White fins to white balance. When they uploaded it to their site it somehow stretched so hit the full screen button to fix it. White Balance Video Personally I think you should always MWB off of something white for the best color. It's easy enough to carry a laminated white sheet with you, so why not. Why tell the camera that white is something other then white?

Billy

Here's a quick video I shot using the APS Manta White fins to white balance. When they uploaded it to their site it somehow stretched so hit the full screen button to fix it. White Balance Video Personally I think you should always MWB off of something white for the best color. It's easy enough to carry a laminated white sheet with you, so why not. Why tell the camera that white is something other then white?

Billy

I use the white-ish sand, my silver/grey fins, a colorful reef. Not sure about the science behind it, but I think it may have something to do with a neutral reference not necessarily just white.

I use the white-ish sand, my silver/grey fins, a colorful reef. Not sure about the science behind it, but I think it may have something to do with a neutral reference not necessarily just white.

A while back a camera tech/cinematographer friend and I did some basic level testing with a gamut of cameras. What we did was test MWB(topside) with white cards, white cards with full, half and quarter gels of CTB (color temperature blue), CTO (color temperature orange), ND (neutral density) and an 18% grey card. Most of the cameras including my DVX100 had the most natural looking response to the white card. A few of the much higher end 35mm "film equivalent" cameras like the Panavision Genesis and the Arriflex D-20 responded better to the 18% grey card. So our conclusion was obvious that the prosumer and and lower end consumer cameras would all benefit more from the white card.

Billy

Billy, I believe your results. I know some people are very very particular and use professional color charts that cost > $150 for MWB. Me, I'm not so picky. Sand, fins, card... Whichever is easiest to use works for me. All work better than AWB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom