DAN Dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go for it - getting DAN insurance is absolutely a no-brainer. You hope to never, ever need it but I would never want to deal with a diving emergency without it. It is worth is just for the peace of mind it gives you.

The premium plan is only $70 a year. You'd make this money back if you had a minor incident/accident. How much do you think it would cost if you got a fishhook in your arm (or worse) and took that to your doctor? What would your co-pay be? What would a tetanus shot cost? Antibiotics co-pay? All for a simple fishhook in the arm.

While I am extremely new to diving, I know that seventy dollars a year is a good investment. I questioned whether I should've paid for AAA... until I locked my keys in my car.

Phil

Read this thread and I just signed up for my DAN insurance. Ive been thinking/meaning to do it and now its done!

Thanks for the info folks!

I just read through this thread, and found it very informative!

My one question.

With DAN, do they immediately take care of things like covering medical treatment up front, or are you on the hook for it until DAN sends you a check?

My one question.

With DAN, do they immediately take care of things like covering medical treatment up front, or are you on the hook for it until DAN sends you a check?
I've never been thru an accident personally, but I understand they do everything they can to pay the bills for you, without you having to pay anything up front - altho I think they will ask about other possible insurance program to share the expenses with.

Many physicians, clinics, and chambers will just bill DAN. In some cases DAN may find it needed to wire money in advance, but they do that if needed.

My one question.

It probably depends on the location where you got your treatment. When I had an incident, in 2004 in Grand Cayman, neither the hospital nor the chamber would take any insurance. I had to pay with credit cards, then do the paperwork to get reimbursed-first through my primary insurance, then through DAN.

Still, I don't dive without the DAN insurance.

It is one of the best diving investments i made and
I am glad I did. . When i dive I feel more relaxed then
before i was a member. .

You can be the best diver
ever, there are always a riks of something that can
go wrong, and why not have the best team behind
you to help you when you may just need them? ?

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

I've had experience first hand dealing with DAN. Four suspected DCI cases while working in the Carib. Each time they were very professional. A diver that doesn't carry some type of dive insur. would be a fool. One of the four cases didn't, 22,000 was her out of pocket cost. Some boats even require it.

It probably depends on the location where you got your treatment. When I had an incident, in 2004 in Grand Cayman, neither the hospital nor the chamber would take any insurance. I had to pay with credit cards, then do the paperwork to get reimbursed-first through my primary insurance, then through DAN.

Still, I don't dive without the DAN insurance.
Oh really?! Perhaps that's something one should check out about local chambers before traveling, but some cannot come up with that much in plastic resources. In many locations, divers and/or dive ops support the local chamber with a fee in exchange for the chamber accepting assigned DAN benefits.

When there was a chamber chain in Cozumel and around the Caribbean not accepting DAN for a while (because of problems with their excessive charges), DAN had to wire money to them for a while when the patients could not be reasonably transferred to another chamber that would take DAN assigned benefits. In some cases this can delay treatment, which can be a painful and serious problem, but it is an option.

It seems that there is a difference between the DAN insurance from Europe and other places as here even the basic one covers the extended travel for example: DAN Europe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom