Sea lion diving in LA – advice needed!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muha, you are going to have a blast! here's some info on the different channel islands

Channel Islands Southern California|Underwater Photography Guide

Like everyone has said, out of LA you get guaranteed sea lion's playing with you at the rookery, Santa Barbara island and at Cathedral cove, Anacapa. Those are you two best bets, by far. And sometimes at the Oil Rigs. The Spectre (www.calboatdiving.com) has weekly boats to Anacapa, and Sundiver occasionally has boats to Santa Barbara or the Oil Rigs.

hope this helps!

Everybody, many tanks!!!!!!!!!!

Your comments are very useful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not know my exact schedule, but I am going to do everything possible to come to LA for diving I May!!!!!
All pictures are so good and I am little bit jealous that you can dive with these nice and nice animals every week!!!!!!!!

Again, many thanks, now I have the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Mo2vation – what camera did you used to make such remarkable photos??

<snip> P.S. Mo2vation &#8211; what camera did you used to make such remarkable photos??

Nobody asked Shakespeare if he used goose quill or crow quill when he wrote his stuff. Kobie would be Kobie in Converse or Reebok or Nike. If Julia Child turned her beef with steel tongs of aluminum tongs it would still taste like her cooking.

My point is this: the gear couldn't matter less. If I used a Nikon DSLR or a Canon DSLR or an Olympus DSLR the shot would still look like the shot. If I shot through a plastic dome or a glass dome, an 8" dome or a 10" dome - the shot is the shot.

A winning shot is the convergence of so many things that have absolutely nothing to do with gear. Some of it I can't control - I had clear water, lots of puppies (count 'em... last time I did I think I got 53 in this shot), good mid-day sun, shallow water. Some things I can control - good composition, overcoming a major problem (only one strobe was working...), selecting the right settings (shutter, ISO, Ap).

If I use a crow quill, I won't write Shakespeare. If I wear Converse, I won't score 40 in my local league. If I cook with steel tongs, my beef won't be Julia's.

Gear just gets out of the way. It doesn't matter what I shot this with. If you like the shot (and to me, its one of my very favorites) that's all that matters.

Thanks, buddy.

-Ken

Nobody asked Shakespeare if he used goose quill or crow quill when he wrote his stuff. Kobie would be Kobie in Converse or Reebok or Nike. If Julia Child turned her beef with steel tongs of aluminum tongs it would still taste like her cooking.

My point is this: the gear couldn't matter less. If I used a Nikon DSLR or a Canon DSLR or an Olympus DSLR the shot would still look like the shot. If I shot through a plastic dome or a glass dome, an 8" dome or a 10" dome - the shot is the shot.

A winning shot is the convergence of so many things that have absolutely nothing to do with gear. Some of it I can't control - I had clear water, lots of puppies, good mid-day sun, shallow water. Some things I can control - good composition, overcoming a major problem (only one strobe was working...), selecting the right settings (shutter, ISO, Ap).

If I use a crow quill, I won't write Shakespeare. If I wear Converse, I won't score 40 in my local league. If I cook with steel tongs, my beef won't be Julia's.

Gear just gets out of the way. It doesn't matter what I shot this with. If you like the shot (and to me, its one of my very favorites) that's all that matters.

Thanks

-Ken

Great Post, And Again that is a FANTASTIC shot Ken!!

Thank you Ken,

You are right and I take your point!!!
I am lazy to bay and carry bulky gear and I expected some push, but you convinced me to continue use my primitive compact Canon :):):)

Excellent pictures!!!! You are diving Shakespeare!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!

Again, many thanks!!!!

Went on the Sand Dollar to Santa Barbara island some years back and it was great. You'll get all the sea lion interaction you could want out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom