Votes: 31 70.5%
  • "know it alls"

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • helpful

Votes: 22 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Private groups have their use.... especially for trip planning for when you "don't want to invite the entire board".

that being said.... you too are a member of a private group. so not sure you say that you don't see a need for them to be private. (I'm just sayin) :eyebrow:

I'm not saying there isn't some need for privacy, but I still wonder how much there is on the 'net. I think there are quite a few groups that fulfill the purpose you stated, regional and other smaller groups.

Yes, I'm a member of 3 public user groups and one user social group in which I no longer participate (thanks for the reminder!) I was told that's technically different to a private forum, but hey, I'll live with it if that's not correct! :wink:

Why should there be a need for any "group" to be private? You have opt-in groups, regional groups, groups in SI and The Pub, I'm just saying! :wink:

I don't know, you're a member of a private group, you tell me :shakehead:

ScubaBoard - Hitchhiking Hijackers

If there is no need for privacy, why not open up that group so we can all see what has been said?

I think they Do a great Job!!

Save for 1 or 2 I wholly agree.

Yup I agree. A few bad eggs, but most are wonderful :thumbs-up

I don't know, you're a member of a private group, you tell me :shakehead:

ScubaBoard - Hitchhiking Hijackers

If there is no need for privacy, why not open up that group so we can all see what has been said?

Yep, I was a member of that social group, I'm not denying it. It doesn't necessarily follow that I am somehow "for" private groups or forums though. I still wonder why is there a need for any group to be completely private on SB when there are lots of other options to keep in touch with a "group". But I acknowledge some people seem to like them, and so each to their own.

If you want to open up that forum so that you can "all see what has been said", then in that case you'd have to agree that should go for ALL private social groups and forums! Then no-one need wonder about anything, right? :wink:

If you want to open up that forum so that you can "all see what has been said", then in that case you'd have to agree that should go for ALL private social groups and forums! Then no-one need wonder about anything, right? :wink:

I think the others already made it pretty clear they do *NOT* care what is posted in the other private groups within the board. They simply dislike that certain MODs are poking around in their private group and telling others outside that group what is being said.

Is that clear enough or is it over your head?

I don't think any one area should be excluded, or is a "private" forum exempt from the ToS?
This always challenges a number of people, so let me try to explain...

ScubaBoard has two major sections to it: Scuba and non-Scuba. Mods take a more active role in the Scuba Section in terms of keeping things on topic and friendly. We have not only enabled Google to search this area, we actively help them by giving them a map with key words of the entire site every night. While we actively moderate this area, we certainly rely on YOU to hit the
report.gif
should any thread need attention.

Within the non-Scuba section, we have again split our efforts. The Surface interval gets less mod attention and the Pub gets almost no attention. These are opt-in forums and peeps should know what they are getting into, and they can always opt out of them quite easily. Obviously, we rely more heavily on the
report.gif
button in these threads and are far more reactive than proactive.

When it comes to private areas, like Private Messages and Private Groups, we have a complete hands off approach UNLESS they get reported. Then we come in at the request of the reporter and check things out. It's not that we suspend the ToS in these threads, it's that we have no business, manpower or desire to meddle in your private affairs. However, if you feel abused, stalked, threatened or the like, we stand ready to jump in and set things right.

There are a number of Forums who like the Big Brother approach, and by all means: if that's your shtick, you should utilize them. It's certainly not my shtick, and I believe that a moderator should be respectful, friendly, helpful, kind and knowledgeable. Moderators who abuse their powers are rare, and they are quickly dismissed from their position of authority once we find out.

The flip side of the coin are the users who take up an inordinate amount of Mod time, patience and energy. If you keep slapping a person in the face, they are sure to run out of cheeks to turn! :no:

I know this is about mods, and I hope this helps you to understand how and why they operate.

I think the others already made it pretty clear they do *NOT* care what is posted in the other private groups within the board. They simply dislike that certain MODs are poking around in their private group and telling others outside that group what is being said.

Is that clear enough or is it over your head?

Yes, very clear, thanks so much for your considered reply.

Last edited:
The flip side of the coin are the users who take up an inordinate amount of Mod time, patience and energy.

Like Chip... :eek:nespeed:

In general Mods perform a thankless job. They put in hours of time in return for little thanks, less appreciation and more abuse than they deserve.

There are always two sides to every story, MODs must take information that in many cases must be kept confidential and make decisions that are guaranteed to upset one side or the other in a conflict.

Personal viewpoints/interpretations/experience/sensitivities and biases will naturally impact their decisions. Seems to me that discussions "in the backroom" also play a role in the decisions but one MOD winds up with their name attached to the "action" and wears the blame from those who disagree with the decision!

Imperfect system in an imperfect world but over all I think we need to be quicker to support and slower to condemn those who put in their time to make this a place so many people get to enjoy!

IMHO we have some absolutely fantastic MODs and some not so good ones but in the end we all cast our vote when we choose to participate in the forum.

Maybe you should try email or skype.
Totaly privat. No mods, just your local cops or feds or what ever.

Darn i even had to take you off ignore to repley to this, so don't worry I'll be reading your CRAP. But members will now know whats going on .

ErrorMessage.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom