Great White Shark spotted...in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, in a titaninum cage...

The day before I dove Catalina Island there was a great white siting at the same dive site we were at. I'm not worried about seeing one while I'm under water, it's floating at the surface that would make me nervous. I made it a point to surface right at the ladder for all of my dives :wink:

This goes to show you how little is know about the population of Great Whites that inhabit the east coast. They just recently started tagging them on the east coast. However on the west coast here, they been tagging them and finding out that their range is from the Farallon Islands down to Guadalupe Island to Hawaii and back. Some of the great whites have become known to researchers due to their frequency that they hangout at the Farallon Islands and have been given names. In that Hawaiian encounter: that was a known female great white shark named "Schatzi" that was reconizied by shark researchers.

Another interesting note: In that famous orca killing a great white shark incident off the Farallon Islands that was caught on tape. The shark was identified as a known male by the name of "Jerry Garcia". Also the orca involved was from a group that frequents the Southern California area known as the: "LA Pod".

Lock Washer

Nothing new, this map shows their range. They've been spotted and caught off of Florida for years.

worldmap_greatwhite.png

I would like to see a white shark on the west coast of British Columbia.

Me too.

Chug
(Still likes sharks)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom